1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Another tree ID request

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by newstove, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newstove

newstove Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    I'm trying to identify this tree (it is in my neighbors yard.) This is a small offshoot of it, so it's a picture of one of the leaves. The bark is a smooth, greyish color (no pics of the bark though.)

The interesting thing is that the leaves have an almost pure white underside, and the full grown trees look like silver leaves flowing in the breeze. Pretty cool looking... ;-)

Anyone have any idea what kinds of trees these are?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Looks like some kind of Maple.
  3. newstove

newstove Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    I thought so too - but it looks like no maple I've ever seen.

I have been searching the 'net, and the closest I can find is a White Poplar. I am pretty sure that's it, but I'm hoping someone else will have an idea.
  4. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    White Poplar has a very smooth shiny surface, not as veined and matte as your pic. There are some Maples that have that shape of leaf but the colour you describe doesn't match. The Silver Maple is more pointed, like a Pin Oak.
  6. Ratman

Ratman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bedford, NH
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
  8. newstove

newstove Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Definitely not red maple. It really looks like the white poplar, especially the full size tree pictures are almost an exact match.
  9. Vic99

Vic99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA, Suburb of Lowell
    If the whole plant is small then it could be maple leaf viburnum.

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/viac.html

White poplar looks like that and has a white/silver underside, if it is definitely a tree and not a large shrub.
  10. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    cottonwood perhaps.
  11. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Looks too textured to be a maple leaf.
  12. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Silver maple . . . no doubt . . . or at least what we call silver maple up this way . . . Edit . . . Now I'm doubting myself . . . it sounds very much like a silver maple, but in checking the on-line tree info for trees in New England the leaves are different. Perhaps a hybrid . . . I'm still betting that there is some silver maple in it, but perhaps it has been mixed with another species for another desirable trait (as an example cherry mixed with weeping willow for a weeping cherry tree) . . .

Take a leaf and turn it over to the white/silver underside . . . most times this section will have a soft almost velveteen feel to it. Mostly used as an ornamental tree around here . . . doesn't get too big . . . a soft hardwood.
  13. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Definitely not a silver maple unless they grow very different in your neck of the woods.
  14. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    norway maple

"The interesting thing is that the leaves have an almost pure white underside, and the full grown trees look like silver leaves flowing in the breeze. Pretty cool looking"

this would lead me to beleive siver maple but its not a silver.
  15. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I think this is a White Poplar, but the leaf looks a little odd since we are looking at a sucker or lower branch. With many species of tree, sometimes you see oddly developed leaves on the suckers (basal shoots or shoots sprouting from the roots), or lowest branches. The description of the tree - leavees with a silvery underside - sounds exactly like White Poplar and unlike most other trees, and combined with the leaf shape, which is perfect for White Poplar, see,s to clinch the ID. This definitely isn't a Silver Maple, which has deep indentations between the lobes of the leaves.

White Poplar is native to europe and could be planted anywhere in the US, so no matter where you are you really aren't out of range for this tree. it is a true poplar (Populus alba) so I bet the wood is light like aspen or cottonwood, although I don't think the o.p. was talking about cutting this tree down. Apparently this is an invasive tree in parts of the midwest, but I have never seen a wild one here in PA.
  16. newstove

newstove Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Definitely not Silver Maple. I have a bunch of those and these aren't even close.

I'm pretty convinced now that it is White Poplar based on the leaves, look of the tree and the way the suckers go out an grow like weeds ;-)

No intention of cutting them down, just trying to identify them. I have never seen any other trees like these in these parts at all, so theyust be somewhat rare for this area.

Thanks all. ;-)
  17. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Eastern Sasparilla :)
  18. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Me thinx u may B right!
  19. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Only if it is a mutant. I've got 2 Norways in my front yard and that is not even close.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.