another tree id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

littleuing

Jan 14, 2014
PA
Helped a guy clear a few trees that were in his way... 2 small ones barely any real wood and a 10 inch ash... but the 4th tree im not sure... maybe hickory?

Attachments

• another tree id
    tmp_23714-20160301_1244561086488414.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 211
  • another tree id
    tmp_23714-20160301_124446-1056040094.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 217
  • another tree id
    tmp_23714-20160301_1244562498104.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 192
Helped a guy clear a few trees that were in his way... 2 small ones barely any real wood and a 10 inch ash... but the 4th tree im not sure... maybe hickory?
Walnut.

I think it is Black Walnut. The bark looks like Black Walnut, and the split wood has the very dark heartwood of a Black Walnut. Black Walnut can often have a very wide, light-colored sapwood, which this tree has.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I think it is Black Walnut. The bark looks like Black Walnut, and the split wood has the very dark heartwood of a Black Walnut. Black Walnut can often have a very wide, light-colored sapwood, which this tree has.
Agreed. The bark on the big piece looks exactly like the walnut I have.

I agree with woodduck looks like black walnut..

Black walnut. Medium BTUs, lots of ash left behind after burning. I do like the smell of fresh splits.

Everyone says black walnut... but i didnt think it was when i cut and split it... there was no smell what so ever and sap was running out like crazy. Also all the trees i know that are black walnut have more of a distint diamond pattern to the bark. I guess it could be but the little experince i have with black walnut is they have a strong smell and the distinct diamond bark. Is there anything else it could be or did i just find one that does have any scent to it. Also does anyone have a idea why some of it would dry with a bluesh green color like someone split something on it... it was only on a few pieces near the base... thought maybe it was bar oil or something. But when split it was like that through the whole log. Not just on the ends.

You can try posting some different pictures, but from what you've presented I have to agree with everyone that has said it is black walnut.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I kind of agree as well honestly. But i was set when i was cutting it that it was not black walnut as the bark seemed of and had no smell.. just wondering if there is something i am missing or why it would not smell at all.

Based on the pictures posted this looks like black walnut. The best lesson I ever learned as a student of dendrology is that a tree will fool you from time to time!

I will echo the black walnut statements. I cut a couple cords every year of walnut. It frequently has the blue-green coloring between the sapwood and heart wood. Also, some smells more than others. Maybe timing?

I will say that it is excellent firewood in my opinion. Wonderful smell, good heat(better than cherry that so many are fond of), easy splitting, and quick seasoning. It does produce a lot of fine ash though.

I have heard warnings about breathing the smoke, but can't comment on the validity. I burn a lot of it and haven't noticed any ill effects yet.

I always wondered about the smoke. I trim trees for a living and the sawdust gives me some pretty good acid burns. Was just told not to burn in an open fireplace. I've never heard from anyone that actually had an issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.