Another use for gnarly old yardbird stumps....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
Just a few feet north of the parsonage of my parents church in 5 1/2 acre heavily wooded lot stood a 24" diameter 6ft long Black Walnut blow down stump still attached to roots.Noticed it there a couple yrs back.Asked the Pastor last week if I could get rid of it for them.I wanted to make a bench for the church yard if the wood was still sound.... He said 'Help yourself' So Friday afternoon I had some spare time & went to work... Church is barely 10 minutes from me,started to sprinkle pretty good when I got to work,but I just kept on sawing....

Didnt notice the embedded chain link on the back side until then,so instead of cutting right down the pith of the heart like normal,I went to one side just a little.I lucked out,all until cutting the 'legs' of bench to length,as you can see by the blue stain.Only minor damage to 3-4 teeth (naturally it was a brand new 28" full chisel chain,about $30 grrrr...):confused: .But a few minutes with the file made things good as new.:cool:

Also got a couple short thick blocks for woodturning & a small stack of firewood from the scraps,good thing I was paying attention when cutting them,that embedded wire can do some damage.

Took down most of that one high spot on the back edge with the saw,then cleaned it up with 130 yr old Scottish cast iron panel plane.Will go back in a few days to clean up the notches cut in the legs w/ mallet & chisel & a few more minor adjustments for a snug & level fit.Being its all heartwood,the bench should last 30 yrs easily.

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 167
  • PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 177
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 170
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 201
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 182
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 173
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 163
NICE JOB THISTLE! Love seein your benches and your work on here! I'm sure that bench will be a conversation piece, heck it may even end up in a couple wedding albums over the years! I hate running into metal junk with the chainsaw, sounds like you lucked out by only hitting a couple links. Ended up with a nice little stack of leftovers, too.

Looks great Thistle, nice job.
zap

Finished it early afternoon today.A bit more shaping of the notches w/mallet,gouge & chisel,plus knocking a few more high spots on the top with the panel plane & rounding the sharp edges with drawknife.Didnt want it totally smooth & flat,if I did,I'd have set up the mill instead of cutting freehand.Still was barely 1/4"off from end to end & less than 1/8" side to side.Has a very slight crown to shed water & thus slow the rate of decay.

Pastor said 'He'd let the wife know,then they'd tell me where they want it placed soon" Nice to get back to some 'free-form work' w/natural edges for a change.Normally am used to everything being straight,square,100% flat with crisp edges. :cool:

Attachments

• PICT0027.JPG
    PICT0027.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 127
  • PICT0023.JPG
    PICT0023.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 114
  • PICT0025.JPG
    PICT0025.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 129
  • PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 118
  • PICT0024.JPG
    PICT0024.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 125
  • PICT0026.JPG
    PICT0026.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 104
Great job Thistle! You are a true craftsman! Hard to find these days!

Reactions: ScotO
Nice job. I really like a wood re-purpose job. I have one on the front burner now.

Those should be nice turning blanks too.

Little higher and you have a Filet-O-Fish stand.

9/16/12 Finished product.I was told that Pastor started to use a wheelbarrow to move the 3 pieces the couple hundred feet from where they were originally at edge of woods to its new spot.Guessing the top weighs close to 100lbs & the 'feet' probably 75lbs each.He changed his mind quickly ;) so 2 younger guys from the church loaded them up in pickup & brought them here around to the front of parsonage. Will start to turn silver grey in a few months,that's OK though.>>

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 106
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 119
9/16/12 Finished product.I was told that Pastor started to use a wheelbarrow to move the 3 pieces the couple hundred feet from where they were originally at edge of woods to its new spot.Guessing the top weighs close to 100lbs & the 'feet' probably 75lbs each.He changed his mind quickly ;) so 2 younger guys from the church loaded them up in pickup & brought them here around to the front of parsonage. Will start to turn silver grey in a few months,that's OK though.>>

Thats very cool!

Looks great Thistle.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.