Another wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dfw245

Jan 28, 2022
Dallas
Out here at some wood again, this time I've done some research on the leaves on the ground in the area. Thing is, it's wide open and there's all kinds of leaves in the area. But it seems to be slippery elm leaves, cottonwood leaves, post oak leaves, and pecan leaves. I got the pecan part sorted as well as the slippery elm wood. But this wood has me stumped. Is this post oak? Or another elm tree? Cottonwood?

IMG_20220226_140302.jpg IMG_20220226_140307.jpg IMG_20220226_141612.jpg

I don't think this is oak.

Reactions: Dfw245
Same thing I was thinking. Not familiar with cottonwood but the bark doesn't line up. Has a bunch of small twigs off it tho

Looks like elm to me too.

Looks like it's official then. American Elm it is. I feel good about figuring that one out myself. Getting better at this!! Thanks for everyone's help. Is there a way to change the title so everyone searching can see the answer?

Reactions: stoveliker
A great distinguishing characteristic for American elm is its double colored layered bark. Slice through bark with a knife on slight bias- if American elm it should display buff/ chocolate colored layers.
VT Dendro - Am elm
American elm is a good species to learn. It is very tough to split, especially by hand. Definitely in the really tough to split group of woods. Yes, 'all wood burns', but how much do you want to tussle with something when you might have other easier splitting, sometimes better burning woods available nearby.
As you learn your species (and work through tough splitting woods) you'll become more choosy. Don't scrounge too much of any one thing until you definitely know what you've got.

Not familiar with cottonwood
Cottonwood has big blocky, very thick bark, with distinctive big long pointy buds, cottony fruit, D-shaped leaves.
Easy splitting, but low Btu return.

Ahhh now that makes sense. That was the gigantic tree across the street. Like, huge huge. Maybe 150-200ft tall. And about 7ft wide. Saw those big leaves on it. Yeah american Elm is eh. I'm glad I didn't grab it. We took all the pecan we could though. Even tho, pecan seems tougher to split than Elm. At least elm I can make a dent, it's just stringy. Pecan I cant even chip off. Maybe my X27 isn't sharp enough? But thanks for the lesson. I'm creating a photo gallery on my phone as a reference guide. That's why I post alot of wood ID threads. Elm will be one of the woods I stay away from. Unless it's currently split.