another year another problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
iceman said:
stoveguy13 said:
that would most likely be the cause of your problems the flue is to small for the size of the FP. what do the rest of the flues serve? you said there was six of them.

well... one was closed and sealed at the top so we could change the heating sys... one has the boiler and gas heater ... one is a gas firplace ... one is another wood firplace that has never been used the other is for a gas grill that has never been used and the last is the fire place we are talking about
you probally dont have a cheap solution to this problem the air preasure of the house has already been discussed and it sounds like you have already placed some make up air into the deal which has not helped. they chimney is large and you cloud have someone come out knock out the exsisting flues and re-do the flue configuration if you wanted to as you have 1-2 flues that are not really being used this would allow you to keep the look you wanted but it will be more costly then the FP insert the cheapest soultion is to try and extend the flue it may look silly but it is something that may help the other issue that i am not sure if it is present is that the FP is in the basement and if i would gues is that flue is probally offset at least once which is probally contributting to the problem. so the extension may not help.

stoveguy13 said:
iceman said:
stoveguy13 said:
that would most likely be the cause of your problems the flue is to small for the size of the FP. what do the rest of the flues serve? you said there was six of them.

well... one was closed and sealed at the top so we could change the heating sys... one has the boiler and gas heater ... one is a gas firplace ... one is another wood firplace that has never been used the other is for a gas grill that has never been used and the last is the fire place we are talking about
you probally dont have a cheap solution to this problem the air preasure of the house has already been discussed and it sounds like you have already placed some make up air into the deal which has not helped. they chimney is large and you cloud have someone come out knock out the exsisting flues and re-do the flue configuration if you wanted to as you have 1-2 flues that are not really being used this would allow you to keep the look you wanted but it will be more costly then the FP insert the cheapest soultion is to try and extend the flue it may look silly but it is something that may help the other issue that i am not sure if it is present is that the FP is in the basement and if i would gues is that flue is probally offset at least once which is probally contributting to the problem. so the extension may not help.

thank you for your help
the flue is in the right corner (if you are looking at it) and it is the furthest so it coes actually go straight up

I still think that until you have someone actually DO a pressure differential test with the fireplace going you can't rule out pressure problems.

no need to rule it out , it is a pressure problem. do you feel any air movement at the fireplace facing? , when cold light a match or lighter and move it slowly around the fireplace opening , watch the flame, are you getting inward movement , if so how much , does it really lean the flame into the fireplace much?

back to the intake , it is in aseperate room with a closed door, so it likely is not in competition with that flue , but is not providing any intake for it at the same time. this is a tough situation , one that may not have an easy "bolt on" cure. i'll keep thinkin

stoveguy2esw said:
no need to rule it out , it is a pressure problem. do you feel any air movement at the fireplace facing? , when cold light a match or lighter and move it slowly around the fireplace opening , watch the flame, are you getting inward movement , if so how much , does it really lean the flame into the fireplace much?

back to the intake , it is in aseperate room with a closed door, so it likely is not in competition with that flue , but is not providing any intake for it at the same time. this is a tough situation , one that may not have an easy "bolt on" cure. i'll keep thinkin

i do open the door a lot in the winter for that purpose but doesn't help
i dont even get that much cold air coming down in the winter i can leave the damper open all the time
even in the winter ( i do have glass doors ) i dont get alot of cold air coming down

GVA said:
So the furnace has air in that room......
Where does the air come from for the fireplace?
the furnance has an open window so to speak the window was replaced with some special thing for the furnance to allow air in
the fireplace is in another room that is 24x36

Status
Not open for further replies.