Antique stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the stove collector

Feb 24, 2010
UK
www.stoveworld.info
I have been collecting antique stoves for over 20 years.
I have an art nouveau stove fitted in my office cabin and this beautiful
Morso 46 in my kitchen. Are there any other stove collectors out there
who appreciate the beauty of ornate cast iron? I am looking to add to my collection by
acquiring some US designed stoves from the late 19th century. The more knickled silver the better.
I have a few different stove examples from a company called the Anglo-American Stove Co.
and wondered if any stove enthusisast had any knowledge of this company long since defunct.

Attachments

• Morso 46 1892.jpg
    Morso 46 1892.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 753
Reactions: 8ball
Neat looking stove!

I love the look of old cast iron. I had to get rid of the old potbelly in the cabin a few years ago. It just plain wore out from hard use.

Matt

Wow, what an amazing looking stove. Looks like its in great condition. I have seen stoves like that before, but never in use. How is that stove to use?

Its a dream to use. Fitted to a 125mm stainless liner inside a brick chimney
it roars away supplying not only heating for kitchen but also heat for 4 more radiators and the hot water.
Also having an oven its great for cooking supper on.
If I ever move house I am taking it with me!

Your stoves are beautiful. For a possible source of information about Anglo American Stove and some great pictures of lots of antique stoves, you might want to check http://www.bryantstove.com The Bryant Stove Works in Thorndike, Maine has been repairing and restoring stoves for 30+ years. They do ship, but I imagine trans Atlantic freight might be a bit pricey.

They have some real crackers! Are such stoves in fashion in the US
In the UK the style has moved more towards the contemporary design.
I presume there is still a desire by the enlightened minority for a range or stove that
has sufficient character that it becomes part of the family.

the stove collector said:
They have some real crackers! Are such stoves in fashion in the US
In the UK the style has moved more towards the contemporary design.
I presume there is still a desire by the enlightened minority for a range or stove that
has sufficient character that it becomes part of the family.

From what I gather, I'm amongst the few here that uses as primary heat an oldie. Mine's in the 100-110 year old range - a Crawford Century cookstove. Throws off a lot of heat, but, since it was intended for cooking as much as for heat, the firebox is small to allow the user to more easily manage oven temps based on fuel type.

A quick oven for baking biscuits is gotten by firing it hot with fine split soft maple or other quick burners. If I'm slow roasting a turkey, I go with the bigger denser woods for a lower more steady heat.

Good for you keeping all that beautiful iron in use. Allot of ours in the US got melted down for materiel during the 1942 scrap metal drive. But the war was also good for the older stoves too. Fossil fuels were in short supply and there was a wood heat renaisance as a result.

AMAZING stove..the first one! It is a work of art! I would like to know how it is heating the radiators. Can you take pictures of the set up? I would shy away from promoting the pipsqueak though. I am intrigued by the small stove but it seems you are trying to sell them-I could be wrong?? BOL

Here is a favourite stove of mine. I have fitted in my cabin office.
Its art nouveau styling is very lovely. Again its Danish. It was designed by
CM Hess in 1912 for a stove design exhibition in Copenhagen.
It has a lovely pierced hat which sits on top when I am not making tea

Attachments

• yurt stove.jpg
    yurt stove.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 451
Status
Not open for further replies.