Any body cut their own wood? Literally?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't but I have thought about it and used a few. I have a one person crosscut saw I'd like to have sharpened but I don't know who would do it. My Grandfather used to cut firewood by hand with a 3-4 ft and 2.5 ft bow saw. The 4 footer is broken and gone by my hand. I can't get a replacement but I have the 2.5. I've have taken a few small trees down with the bow saws and have all the saw sets and blade clamps for them but I'm to lazy to do it all that way.... Even grandpa went after the small trees those 20 inchers are big.

Last edited:
My elderly neighbor next door tells me his version of horror stories when cutting firewood as a boy, yes cross cut saw & axe while being on a farm in the 1930's and 1940's

Reactions: D8Chumley
Years ago when a teenager we cut about a cord of hardwood (Maple, ash and birch) with a standard bowsaw and dropped the trees with the same bowsaw. Then split it with a maul and hauled it home in the trunk of a ford maverick. My dad picked up a chainsaw the year after.

Two man crosscut saws can cut quickly but they need to be sharpened correctly and the wood has to be clean. Sharpening a cross cut requires special tools and jigs plus patience. During the early logging days in my area all the 4' cord wood for the pulp mill was sawn by hand. The mill at its peak had over 5000 loggers in the woods. The guys who sharpened the saws usually had their own cabin that they lived in at the logging camps. No one messed with the filer as if they pissed them off, their saws may not get filed very well leading to a long day in the woods. If there is any mud or dirt on the log the blades get dull quick.

I have a 4 footer over the personal door to my tractor bay in the garage and that's just where it's staying!!!
I do remember my father using a bow saw when he started burning wood in the early 70's but he was in unbelievable shape working out 3 times a week with a hour or more on the handball court, beat the heavy bag for a bit and run a fast mile at the local YMCA. Nothing stopped him from that workout.
I did not get that gene. ;)

Reactions: D8Chumley