1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Any info on Stove Chow?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by warmhouse2, Nov 28, 2012.

1. warmhouse2

warmhouse2 Member

Loc:
    new jersey
    Just wondering how Stove Chow compares to Cheat River and Lignetics? Pellet Choices here are few and far between.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jgrz0610

jgrz0610 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern CT, Andover
    I bought about 20 bags of chow for the first time with high expectations. Don't get me wrong, it kept the house warm, but this time around I went with the Firesides like I did last year. I think they burn cleaner. Bottom line in my opinion is that the chow is a decent running middle of the road pellet. A tiny bit more ashy than the firesides, but less than the GSupremes. Everyone here would call it a shoulder pellet for sure but I'm sure you could keep the house warm with em.
  3. RWB1

RWB1 Member

Loc:
    STILLWATER, NY
    Wouldn't burn stove chow for free.....way to ashy and dirty for me.....Lignetics and cheat river for sure...I have a few ton of ligs now and always had good luck. Tried a ton of Cheat river last year with good luck.
  4. djs_net

djs_net Member

Loc:
    CT
    I agree that chow is a pretty dirty pellet but it gives off decent heat so I would definately burn it for free.
  5. wazilian

wazilian Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    My chow so far this year is heating well, and with my new vent system the stove doesn't get as dirty (which was part of the idea there), but the clunkers I'm getting from them is getting to be too much. I'll take a bit extra ash over the clinkers any day. I'll have to see what else is in my area here soon. I know a local shop has Energex (bagged and bulk).
  6. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    If they are the red bag Energex they are rumored t o be the same as the Chow.
  7. bayfeet

bayfeet Member

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Local Home Depot had some stove chow behind the green supremes. I bought two tons, definitely more heat than the supremes. Price was 209.00/ton and they took another 5% off. At those prices, I'll keep burning them.
  8. pell it

pell it Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Last year I burnt a ton each of chow and NEWP. This year I bought two tons of Barefoot. Had enough of the ash and clinkers. Green liggies are hotter but as ashy if not more.
  9. Indiana

Indiana Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South Jersey
    Had 3 ton 3 years ago and loved them. Last year, I couldn't get Chow, so I settled on 2 ton of Green Team and 2 ton of AWF. The stove chow was much better than those two. This year I found Stove Chow at HD for $209 minus my Lowes 10%. Great price, but I think they are a little different than 2 years ago. Still good and Hot, but a little ashy.
  10. warmhouse2

warmhouse2 Member

Loc:
    new jersey
    Thanks for the info. The lignetics burn fairly hot, not as hot as last years Hamers (found 5 bags). The Cheat river are ok but somewhat ashy. I was hoping to find something better but haven't found a stove shop around here. So I guess ill just burn what ever the big box stores carry. Its better than running the heat pumps.
  11. kykel

kykel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    long Island
    Almost finished a ton of chow. Heats good but dirty. Get a lot of hockey pucks running on low during the day. My agitator pushes them out so its not a big deal for me.
  12. warmhouse2

warmhouse2 Member

Loc:
    new jersey
    I may pass on the Chow. I almost always run on low and no agitator. Never had klinkers but dont want to shut down stove every day to clean them out. Only shut down on sat for clearing ash and vac. Heats the first floor to 70 and 2nd to 64 on low only use High when its supper cold outside.
  13. DV

DV Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern MD
    im burning it no issues. heat is great. got a bottom feeder so it seems to burn whatever.