Any Montgomery Ward wood heater RKIs? Newby with a M. Wards in original crate.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky69

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2009
Chicago
I bought a Montgomery Wards wood heater, Model YMT-7336 in 1983. I never used it. I am interested in using it as an emergency heater for my house when the power goes out (happens a lot). The brief owners guide says to burn wood only.

Anybody familiar with this unit and what it can - can't do?

I was in Czech Republic recently in the country and was VERY impressed with the wood and coal heaters / stoves they rely on for heat and cooking. No fumes, lots of heat. They told me a wood stove can't burn coal (too hot?).

I would probably run the flue pipe up my existing fireplace chimney. I read on the internet I need to use a stainless steel liner the entire length of the chimney, is this accurate?

Alternatively, I have a boiler - hot water heating system in the house now. Is there a coal or pellet heat system I could change out at will (its currently natural gas) and run the boiler on batteries?

Not sure of the exact unit - they private labeled a lot of stuff - some of it was from Taiwan and very cheap. If it is a cast iron stove, it is probably one of those cheap imports - if a steel stove then possibly made by an American company. A pic would help ID it.

Yes, you do probably need to reline the chimney if you use the wood stove - a stainless steel pipe is the way to go.

Anything involving your central heating system will cost many thousands of dollars...probably 10K+ and not be worth your while for a backup system.

Thanks Webmaster. Yes, it is from Taiwan and is black, cost about 80 bucks in 1983.

Is cast iron bad? What are the drawbacks of my stove? Is it a serious tool for heating for a month of use, or a dangerous toy?

Are there any good chinney liner installers in the Chicago area?

Webmaster said:
Not sure of the exact unit - they private labeled a lot of stuff - some of it was from Taiwan and very cheap. If it is a cast iron stove, it is probably one of those cheap imports - if a steel stove then possibly made by an American company. A pic would help ID it.

Yes, you do probably need to reline the chimney if you use the wood stove - a stainless steel pipe is the way to go.

Anything involving your central heating system will cost many thousands of dollars...probably 10K+ and not be worth your while for a backup system.

Personally, I would not use it except in a dire emergency. That would mean, in general, that spending a couple grand to reline the chimney for it might not be a good idea. I'd suggest looking around for a newer stove which would be much more efficient and safer.

In terms of chimneys, there are many national orgs which certify chimney pros...like:
http://www.csia.org/

they have lists of local pros.

Thanks. I saw flexible steel flues on one of Hearth.com advertisers. This seems like a quick fix for an emergency setup. What about coal? I don't see a discussion of wood vs. coal. I live in an urban area with no firewood, so I am thinking coal would be easier to store, could store longer (just a guess) and give more heat than wood.

Webmaster said:
Personally, I would not use it except in a dire emergency. That would mean, in general, that spending a couple grand to reline the chimney for it might not be a good idea. I'd suggest looking around for a newer stove which would be much more efficient and safer.

In terms of chimneys, there are many national orgs which certify chimney pros...like:
http://www.csia.org/

they have lists of local pros.

Does it look like a Jotul 118? My father-in-law had a Taiwan knock-off stove like that that he bought at Montgomery Wards in the late 1970s - finally convinced him to get something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.