Any Muskie fishermen or ladies?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I saw the post about hunters and thought what's the harm in asking. I am looking for advice on going Muskie fishing next year and would like to go maybe to Canada. I have been there before but its been 10 years ago. I also have been muskie fishing off and on for them over 30 years.

I would like input on the best place to go resort wise and fish wise if you please. I did the bus trip when I first retired to Eagle lake. I am looking for this to be possibly my last trip up that way.

Thanks for any input ahead of time.

Shipper

I've never fished for muskie, but have done several trips into Quebec for northern pike and walleye. We'd catch pike in the 20 lbs range. Fantastic fighters. We would usually drive from Maine to Chibougamau, then take a small plane to the camp. We fished at the Broadback River Fishing Camp several times. Our last visit was about 10 years ago. I think they're under new owners now.

Definitely interested in hearing what others recommend. My old man is looking to take us boys on another trip and perhaps this is something we could do.

Shipper50 said:
I saw the post about hunters and thought what's the harm in asking. I am looking for advice on going Muskie fishing next year and would like to go maybe to Canada. I have been there before but its been 10 years ago. I also have been muskie fishing off and on for them over 30 years.

I would like input on the best place to go resort wise and fish wise if you please. I did the bus trip when I first retired to Eagle lake. I am looking for this to be possibly my last trip up that way.

Thanks for any input ahead of time.

Shipper

Ive fished in Manitoba for years. Cobham River Lodge. Awesome place, excellent trophy Pike fishing. My understanding on Muskie is that the biggest muskie are in Minnesota, New York...further north is Pike country.

To me there is a big difference between musky and pike. I have fished the St. Lawrence for years off Wellesley island and caught many Northern Pike, Never once a Musky. There is a river here called the Susquehanna river that has very, very large Musky. I have seen them caught up to 48'' long...true fresh water sharks. BUT they call musky the fish of 1000 casts. They are very tough to catch. I have fished the river for them with huge minnows, chunks of meat, big lures and got skunked every time. Every one I know that has landed a monster musky has by accident. The one guy was pulling in a decent size small mouth then WHAM....Musky inhaled the small mouth and fish on! The Musky is now on his wall with a good story behind it.

I would imagine Canada or Minnisota would offer better or "easier" musky fishing perhaps. Dunno fishing shows always make it look easy.

Good luck!

Steve

North of the border here is good for sure, but right here in MN isn't all that bad either! Lake Vermillion or Lake of the Woods MN would be my pick. They are much easier when in larger abundance, I've caught quite a few this year. Pike are fun too. Now a really big flathead catfish is really fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.