Any one Have a draft gauge I can borrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rscottski

Oct 23, 2013
Enfield, NH
Up here in Lebanon NH and I'm looking to borrow a Draft gauge. The manual calls for 0.15 - 0.17 = 37-42 Pa in a 1/8" hole so the gauge would need to be in that range.

I stopped by the local stove shop who sells the Vista Flame vf-55 that I own, and they don't have a draft gauge and don't even use one for installs. I'm going into an existing 6" two story pipe and I think it is sucking all the heat out of the stove and up the chimney. I might need to close the damper some to keep the heat in the stove but I need a gauge to figure it out.

Thanks Scott

You can easily make one since your checking for inches of water column. You tube has examples. Piece of clear tubing and a bit of colored water. They are used in radon mitigation all the time to keep an eye on fan suction. Some plumbing supplies carry them.

Up here in Lebanon NH and I'm looking to borrow a Draft gauge. The manual calls for 0.15 - 0.17 = 37-42 Pa in a 1/8" hole so the gauge would need to be in that range.

I stopped by the local stove shop who sells the Vista Flame vf-55 that I own, and they don't have a draft gauge and don't even use one for installs. I'm going into an existing 6" two story pipe and I think it is sucking all the heat out of the stove and up the chimney. I might need to close the damper some to keep the heat in the stove but I need a gauge to figure it out.

Thanks Scott
I have a new WC guage you can borrow. Send me your address in a private conversation and I will mail to you. Just sen it back when done.

I am very interested in your result as I will be in a very similar situation. Have a 2 story existing (perfect condition) masonry chimney and have just ordered a Maxx-M. Had the same discussion with my dealer, they don't use a gauge and everything points to draft making a big difference. So I ordered a gauge on eBay, item # 251322823002 and will probably mount it to my stove. I'll feel a lot better about spending the coin on a liner if the $45 gauge tells me it's needed.

Good luck,
- Jeff

I find it tough to get an accurate draft reading with a watertube style manometer. if you can find a digital manometer or a magnahelix you will get better readings.

I am very interested in your result as I will be in a very similar situation. Have a 2 story existing (perfect condition) masonry chimney and have just ordered a Maxx-M. Had the same discussion with my dealer, they don't use a gauge and everything points to draft making a big difference. So I ordered a gauge on eBay, item # 251322823002 and will probably mount it to my stove. I'll feel a lot better about spending the coin on a liner if the $45 gauge tells me it's needed.

Good luck,
- Jeff
anybody installing or servicing anything dealing with combustion really needs to check draft. or at least be aware of it. how do they know how well it is operating without testing. draft and srack temp are very important, and can tell you a lot about the operation of the equipment. same thing with engines. to fine tune a motor you adjust to vacuum.

anybody installing or servicing anything dealing with combustion really needs to check draft. or at least be aware of it. how do they know how well it is operating without testing. draft and srack temp are very important, and can tell you a lot about the operation of the equipment. same thing with engines. to fine tune a motor you adjust to vacuum.

I agree 1000%. Spent enough time with engines myself, although nothing as much fun as your avatar. I tend to believe science, and just like going to a mechanic if their methods aren't good enough it's time to DIY. Magnahelic and IR pyrometer for me.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Reactions: osagebow

Good luck,
- Jeff

How does the gauge tell you if you need a liner or not ? If the pressure difference is to high then the chimney is drawing to fast and you need a smaller diameter pipe or would it be the other way around ? I assumed the liner was to protect from excessive heat. I assume that the larger diameter the grater the draw and the higher the differential ? It feels like my 6" metal asbestos chimney is sucking all of the heat out of the stove and up the chimney.

How does the gauge tell you if you need a liner or not ? If the pressure difference is to high then the chimney is drawing to fast and you need a smaller diameter pipe or would it be the other way around ? I assumed the liner was to protect from excessive heat. I assume that the larger diameter the grater the draw and the higher the differential ? It feels like my 6" metal asbestos chimney is sucking all of the heat out of the stove and up the chimney.

I figure if I can 90deg my way into my existing (clay lined) chimney and get a good draft reading then the stove is workable. Then I'll inspect the chimney at a 1/2 ton or so to see if I'm getting any creosote in there. If that is clear then I should be set.

In some of my noodling around it seemed like for a tall chimney the liner may be to keep enough heat in the exhaust. So were you able to find a gauge and check yours? I'm fixing to unpack my stove once the weather clears. Right now it's a black tarp wrapped statue next to the house, that's as far as I had daylight for yesterday working alone. I'm a little sore from wrestling with 392 lbs LOL.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.