Any one out there have an Madawaska, Dumont or other Dr Hill gasification boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg.ouellette

Jun 29, 2010
Northern Maine
Good morning
I recently purchased a Madawaska gasification wood boiler and am interested to know if there is anyone in this forum that has one in operation. That may be able to offer some pointers.. I am a wood burner and I dabble in this ALOT and I have been looking for one for a long time and I found this one by chance on Craiglist. It is in great shape for the year..
I spoke to Dr Hill last week (92 years old) and he was as excited as I was and will offer all the help he can for me to get this set up and in operation.. Just want to know you r installation scenarios.. Installed in house, out building or garage.. How it is piped to existing heating etc... What type of expansion tanks your are using due to this being an open system...
I will post a video and photos later today...

Thanks everyone and HAPPY 4Th of July...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetstream_furnace

Greg from Maine

If its an open System why do you need an expansion tank? I had a Dumont for years. Thing took up half the basement with a 1000 gallon pressurized tank. Had a 5 foot tall expansion tank, maybe 75 gallons or so? The water in the tank circulated through the baseboards. DHW had a copper coil in one end of the tank. Showers were awesome when Tank was up to 200f :)

I have 2 expansion tanks that came with and they are 30 gallons each.. I am in a dilemma right now because I am not sure if I want the boiler in the basement.. The storage tanks are 330 each x 3 is 990 gallons of storage... They are typical tanks but are 6 ft long..

If you can post pics of your scenario it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

I will post pics this afternoon when I can get help to move things around...

Sorry I don't have pics, the system fell into disrepair and got taken out. Parts got hard to get and money was spent making the house tighter. The waste heat off the tank would heat the house now. My Dad bought the system back in 79 or 80??. It was installed by Ray Plumbing in Ellsworth. Burned 8 cord of wood in it for 20 something years. Was a great unit.

Search posts for "Slowzuki" I don't know if he still hangs around here but I think he had a couple of Jetstreams going.

Status
Not open for further replies.