Any problems with Castiles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyclan

Dec 23, 2007
Missouri
We had a second Mt Vernon installed in our home with the same issues as our last. We are looking at getting two Castiles and just wondering if there are any known issues out there that we should be aware of. We love the look of the Mt Vernon and Castile that is why we want to stay with them.

Thanks

caseyclan said:
We had a second Mt Vernon installed in our home with the same issues as our last. We are looking at getting two Castiles and just wondering if there are any known issues out there that we should be aware of. We love the look of the Mt Vernon and Castile that is why we want to stay with them.

Thanks

I have the Castille(freestanding)......I absolutely love it. It has far outperformed my expectations. The stove pretty much runs itself. I have only had it for one month....but its a great asset....has saved me a bunch of money for the month. No problems...so far.

caseyclan said:

Thanks

4+ years now finally had my first repair but that was to be expected on a wear and tear part (fan). We use this for our primary heat source for about 65% of the house so it works hard. Otherwise works like a champ. Depending on what our remolding project turns into, I will get a second one for down stairs.

The mt vernon would heat the house fairly well - when it ran. Too many issues with the electronics and thermostat. We have 2 fireplaces - one in the great room with 18foot ceilings and a catwalk leading to the kids' rooms, which is where the Mt Vernon was installed. The other fireplace is in the front room, and we thought a second Castille might work well there to help circulate the warm air better for a good "balance". We are trying not to get a negative viewpoint from the Mt vernon, as every product has its bad side. The overall technology of the pellet stive is something we like and want to stay with I appreciate all suggestions and comments.

Well.....I cant comment to much on the Mt. Vernon....I know a couple people that bought them....but havent heard to much form them at this time. As for my Castille....electronics really isnt a problem at all. It doesnt have a digital control board etc. Just the low/med/high settings that increases your feed rate as well....I was hesitant to get it for that reason.....but you know....i love it! Less technology....the stove really is an asset for us . I also have the wireless remote with it and it GREAT. I have no complaints other than the hopper is smaller than I'd like.....but a machine shop is gonna make an extension for me. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.