Any stoves allowed to be installed in a bedroom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
I know it's against code for many many stoves to be installed in bedrooms, but currently we have vent free gas fp's in the bedrooms that we don't use one of them puts a strong LP smell into the air, one doesn't work, and I just plain don't trust the whole vent free thing for the others. Turn em on for more than an hour and you've got a nasty headache. I can't see how this is safe. These are rated at 10k btu/Hr.

Is the code restriction based on the fact that it's a wood burning device, or a maximum amount of btu that can be put into a sleeping room? I would definitely be much more interested in using wood to heat the bedrooms.

karri0n said:
I know it's against code for many many stoves to be installed in bedrooms, but currently we have vent free gas fp's in the bedrooms that we don't use one of them puts a strong LP smell into the air, one doesn't work, and I just plain don't trust the whole vent free thing for the others. Turn em on for more than an hour and you've got a nasty headache. I can't see how this is safe. These are rated at 10k btu/Hr.

Is the code restriction based on the fact that it's a wood burning device, or a maximum amount of btu that can be put into a sleeping room? I would definitely be much more interested in using wood to heat the bedrooms.

Really?! I didn't think it would be against code to put a wood burning stove in a bedroom. How is it any different than having an open fireplace in a bedroom?

BrowningBAR said:
Really?! I didn't think it would be against code to put a wood burning stove in a bedroom. How is it any different than having an open fireplace in a bedroom?

It is against virtually every building code out there to install any kind of solid fuel burning appliance in a sleeping area. I have no clue why fireplaces are allowed.

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:

It is against virtually every building code out there to install any kind of solid fuel burning appliance in a sleeping area. I have no clue why fireplaces are allowed.

I have nothing to back me up on this but I think it's legal to do so in PA.

I see... It's solid fuel bigotry we're dealing with. There's no available solutions to this, then?

Camps must be exempt then? I've been in many that are of an open concept (living/dining/sleeping) and there are always woodstoves for heat.

Just curious.

Tfin said:
Camps must be exempt then? I've been in many that are of an open concept (living/dining/sleeping) and there are always woodstoves for heat.

Just curious.

And Yurts. You almost always see a Yurt (no matter the size) with a stove in the center. I think this might just apply to CT. I have specifically asked multiple installers (all of which are reputable) about potentially putting a stove in our bedroom. The only issue that was raised was that we couldn't use the same chimney that the stove in the kitchen is using.

BrowningBAR said:
I have specifically asked multiple installers (all of which are reputable) about potentially putting a stove in our bedroom. The only issue that was raised was that we couldn't use the same chimney that the stove in the kitchen is using.

I don't have a copy of The BOCA National Fire Prevention Code/1990, Eighth Edition but it is the codified fire code for Doylestown. The competing standard NFPA 211 specifically forbids solid fuel appliances in bedrooms.

"The BOCA National Fire Prevention Code/1990, Eighth Edition, with all supplements to date, is hereby adopted as the Fire Prevention Code for Doylestown Township."

You need to access a copy of the building codes applicable to your area. This will be addressed in the Mechanical Codes section. As an example, in Oregon solid fuel-burning appliances are not allowed in bedrooms...but there are exceptions. The exceptions are based on the size and openess of the space. The answer needs to come from your local authority...be that the Community Development Department of the County or whatever it may be where you live. Rick

There was a long dialog about this last Feb.. Search for - stove bedroom code. It is code. Many stove manufacturers say don't do this. (ie: Hearthstone Bennington: DO NOT INSTALL IN A SLEEPING ROOM) The manual trumps all unless there is a written exception provided by the manufacturer based on the individual installation. However, there exceptions or amendments in many areas that may allow a stove if specifics issues of combustion air are covered. This would be up to you and your local inspector.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/35926
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4465/P22/#47543

BeGreen said:
There was a long dialog about this last Feb.. Search for - stove bedroom code. It is code. Many stove manufacturers say don't do this. (ie: Hearthstone Bennington: DO NOT INSTALL IN A SLEEPING ROOM) The manual trumps all unless there is a written exception provided by the manufacturer based on the individual installation. However, there exceptions or amendments in many areas that may allow a stove if specifics issues of combustion air are covered. This would be up to you and your local inspector.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/35926
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4465/P22/#47543

Interesting. The really old houses around here used to have a Franklin stove in every room including the bedrooms.

I still find it odd that there is an issue with a stove in a bedroom as an open fireplace seems far more dangerous.

code in about 90% of all areas now prohibits any thing other than a direct vent gas heater to be installed in any sleeping room. Solid fuel appliances are a big no no. to list the dangers (and why the insurance company will cancel you if anything happens)
1. oxygen: you cannot shut off a burning solid fuel unit untill all the fuel has been burned up. These units take large volumes of air to operate, and it could concievably suck the usable air out of the room and suffocate you in your sleep.
2. carbon monoxide: a blocked chimney/ vent can back puff this nasty stuff into the bedroom while you are sleeping, thus killing you. blockage can happen quickly from cresote and ash buildup, or simply an animal trying to get warm at night, and asphxiating from the smoke coming out of the chimney/vent.
3. fire: a chimney fire is bad enough when it happens in your living room; try doing it when you are sleeping in the room where it occurs.
I am suprised the insurance so is cool with the vent free heaters you have.. they do have safety devices, but they are mchanical and can go bad.

summit said:
code in about 90% of all areas now prohibits any thing other than a direct vent gas heater to be installed in any sleeping room. Solid fuel appliances are a big no no. to list the dangers (and why the insurance company will cancel you if anything happens)
1. oxygen: you cannot shut off a burning solid fuel unit untill all the fuel has been burned up. These units take large volumes of air to operate, and it could concievably suck the usable air out of the room and suffocate you in your sleep.
2. carbon monoxide: a blocked chimney/ vent can back puff this nasty stuff into the bedroom while you are sleeping, thus killing you. blockage can happen quickly from cresote and ash buildup, or simply an animal trying to get warm at night, and asphxiating from the smoke coming out of the chimney/vent.
3. fire: a chimney fire is bad enough when it happens in your living room; try doing it when you are sleeping in the room where it occurs.
I am suprised the insurance so is cool with the vent free heaters you have.. they do have safety devices, but they are mchanical and can go bad.

I gotta ask; how is that any different than an open fireplace (which are in bedrooms all over the place around hear). An open fireplace has all of the above listed risks.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't understand how one is allowed (which has a solid fuel source open, susceptible to wind, able to throw sparks and have the fuel source roll out of the fireplace) and the other is not allowed (which has a fuel source completely enclosed).

Oh, and thanks for the help on the non-cat stove.

BAR,no problem on the non cat stove (great screen name, by the way)! and we have lot of older homes here that have fireplaces in them, and it is a strange combo of ways they have them and get away w/ it. 1st is that they are grandfathered in, as those houses had the fireplace pre-code date... when they go to change something (ie; install an appliance, line the chimney, etc.) they have a "new" setup, and have to bring the whole thing up to code. thus negating the grandfather clause. 2nd. they have the fireplace there, but have blocked it off, or capped it, thus rendering it inoperable w/ out tools and or a ladder. any change to that, see first example. 3rd is ignorance, or lack of an ins. co adjuster for a long while.

Actually, if you look through the high-end home magazines, which highlight new and (often) expensive homes, it is common to see wood burning fireplaces (but not stoves) in master bedrooms in particular. It may be related to the size of the rooms (usually large in these examples) and the volume of air available, but in any event I'm sure it's legal, since most of these homes are designed by architects who are very familiar with the building codes ... and with exemptions thereto.

If you want to see if there is a legal way around the requirement in your area, I would check with a local architect and / or builder who specializes in high-end homes. They will be pretty savvy on what is and is not allowed in your area, by your local authorities. Even though most codes are based on one of the national codes, the local authorities still have the final say.

Peace,
- Sequoia

as far as why they allow direct vent gas in and solid fuel out, direct vent stoves are very suceptable to change in operating atmosphere. block an inlet/outlet, apply too much fuel, of leaving glass open results in lots of turbulence/ oxygen change, which blows out the pilot, which shuts off the gas. no heat from the pilot, and the valves cant operate. some have fireplaces in bedrooms, some dont. when i have to go inspect an installation for an insurer, or mortgage/realty co, if i see stuff out of code and dont report it; i am in deep crap when it comes back to bite me. same for installations. some people are do it yourselfers, some just don't bother with maintenence/ upkeep. they slide thru the cracks, and then when something happens, the ins co has plausible deniability.either it was not reported or was put in wrong, and it negates the ins claim. you / installer / inspector was at fault for incorrectly doing install or reporting the setup. there is soo much liability to legally have fire inside the house, they are just protecting the bottom line.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
Does this mean Im breaking the law every time I fall asleep on the couch?

everyone is a comedian

more likely breaking wind :p::-)

Holy crap!!!!!!!!! If that is true then there go a bunch more birthdays some government or another is going to take away. I don't get Christmas cards from George Bush anymore either since I publicly announced he was a moron. It sure is nice to know so many nice bureaucrats, bankers and insurance thieves have my safety in mind. I only wish they would get their damned hand off my wallet in their zeal to save me. Of course all that goes out the window if you have $$$. Then you just do what you want like they always have. Some things never change.

Driz said:

Holy crap!!!!!!!!! If that is true then there go a bunch more birthdays some government or another is going to take away. I don't get Christmas cards from George Bush anymore either since I publicly announced he was a moron. It sure is nice to know so many nice bureaucrats, bankers and insurance thieves have my safety in mind. I only wish they would get their damned hand off my wallet in their zeal to save me. Of course all that goes out the window if you have $$$. Then you just do what you want like they always have. Some things never change.

Coffee's strong this morning, isn't it...

CT code is as follows. Only direct vent gas appliances are allowed in a bedroom. I have a huge master bedroom 34x26 and have direct vent gas set up in it. I can have stoves/non vented log sets in much smaller rooms as long as they are not a bedroom. Really makes no sense to me. Same with "arc fault" protection. They recently mandated "arc fault" circuits in all bedrooms. When I was getting my electrical sign off i asked why. Reply was "because its a bedroom"...... I said so?? They said more danger cause you sleep there. I said I sleep in my living room alot too. He just shrugged his shoulders and said " I dont know" ....

Now that I think about it, in some 25+ years of wood burning, in six different living spaces, I have ALWAYS slept in the room where my stove was... unless you consider a loft (above) a separate room.

I'm still here... knock wood.

--

Likely a morning fire tomorrow here in SW Wisconsin... warm up the room before I bother getting out of bed.

Peter B.

-----

We have all probably slept in the room where a stove was burning. Probably slept right through the start-up of the night load and woke up to a cherry red stove. :ahhh:

But the answer to the original question still is, nope they ain't allowed in bedrooms per current building codes and pretty much every manual that comes with a new stove. There is always right, wrong and real. Real is that you ain't getting the permit and the insurance company will cancel your butt.

Go ahead. Make their day. :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.