Any stoves with this ability?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aansorge

Minister of Fire
Aug 12, 2011
Southern Minnesota
I'm looking for a stove that has the ability to blow warm air to a level on a lower floor. My Enerzone ZC fireplace does it, but I am thinking of adding an extra stove on the other end of the house and would like it to heat the basement as well as the main floor. Any ideas?

That is a very difficult thing to do. Heat wants to go up and not down.

Never seen a free standing stove that could do that from the factory but most fireplaces’ can, at least the ones at my dealer can. If there isn't a stove that can do it that doesn't mean you can't, your furnace has at least 1 intake inside your home. My father installed the intake at the ceiling level above the stove to suck up that warm air and distribute it around the whole house.

I have thought about this as well. Have a cold air intake at the ceiling above the stove, and blow it distribute that warm air via ductwork throughout.

There are a number of European stoves that have a water loop for a radiator or two in addition to the direct heat.

A small ducted wood furnace could do this.

thats correct, one of the only ways to that physics trick is with water...radiator.

firecracker_77 said:
I have thought about this as well. Have a cold air intake at the ceiling above the stove, and blow it distribute that warm air via ductwork throughout.

I am sure this is possible, but it is a lot more difficult than it sounds. The ductwork will suck heat from the air and you'll end up getting cool or cold air at the downstream end of the system. You need to move a lot of fairly hot air to end up moveing much useable heat to the place you want the heat. My house had a homemade failed system like this.

Backwoods Savage said:
That is a very difficult thing to do. Heat wants to go up and not down.

Actually, heat will radiate in any direction. It is hot air that rises.

If you look behind the 8 in going through the wall, there is a 6 in sucking air off ceiling to the downstairs 30 feet away through insulated flex duct, works good! tim

Attachments

• DSC00075.jpg
    DSC00075.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 210
Status
Not open for further replies.