Anybody burn Quadrafire stoves or Dutch West non cat stoves with Everburn? Please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclout

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2007
Southbridge, Massachusetts
If anyone can give me any input on the Quadrafire stoves or the Dutch West non cat stoves I would sure appreciate it. I need to make a descision soon, like maybe tomorrow.
Thanks, John

Go for the bigger Quad. I think you will be happy and without regret.

Thanks BeGreen, I havnt yet found out the fire box size on the Med Dutch West, anybody have a guess? The Quads sure sound easier to burn.

Don't buy the damned DW. They could be the best stoves on the planet but there are just too many people that own them on this Forum talking about problems burning with the re-burn technology that they use.

See anybody bitching about the straightforward, been in use since 1990, technology that the Quad uses?

You don't have money to piss down a well.

Confusing folks again........everburn is nothing but a brand name! What the heck does it mean?
There is no such thing as a Quad "everburn" (or I am wrong?).

We must use downdraft or cross draft - or else simply a particular stove model.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Downdraft_Stove_Operation

Anyway, lots of folks on the forum talking about downdraft stoves. Seems the VC models (including DW) may be very sensitive to proper sizing...in other words, don't run well at low settings. At least that is what folks are talking about. Can't speak for the others, but I don't suppose they are too different. So consider what you are going to use it for (don't oversize)

Quad's design on the Isle Royale is not the same as the VC/Leyden/Oakwood design. My understanding is that it has a tertiary burn system instead of the downdraft system.

I have the Quadra Fire Cumberland Gap stove going on third season. Excellent stove, easy to operate would recommend it.

The 3100 uses proven baffle mounted secondary burn tube technology that works in thousands of stoves. Do it.

I would suggest that the webmaster needs a new Dutchwest down draft stove for the new install in his house.

Bet it don't happen.

It does seem the Everburn technology on the Dutchwest stoves requires a bit too much of a perfect condition to work right without a lot of fiddling from what I've seen.

Quadrafire uses the same technology as pile burners use in big boilers. Basically burn somewhat sub-stoichiometric at the firebrick level and then add secondary air and burn off the remaining combustibles before leaving the stove. It's a long proven technology that's just been shrunken down to home size.

ernie said:
what does tertiary burn system mean?
never heard the term.

ernie

Like "third level"....you know, marketing - speak!
(of the third order, rank, stage, formation, etc.; third. )

Once you have secondary burn, you have to have third level burn, then 4th level,.......hence Quadrafire!

I think we need that Pentafire and Octafire next.

It gets to the point where one has to wonder: How many friggin times are we going to claim we're reburning or burning gases before they leave the stove?

Here is the way I see it:

Primary air sweeps across the glass and provides the main oxygen source for the burning wood. Some of this primary air is often diverted by various means, directly into or directly above the coal bed via a dog box or ports located near the coal bed. The wood burns via this air, however as we all know, it does not do so completely. At this point, secondary air is deliver to the area above the burning wood to reignite the gases. That's it. Sorry, there are no two more burns.

Some stoves divert some PRIMARY air directly at the front of the baffle and call it tertiary. Its just primary air causing a little more SECONDARY burn. Quaternary burn? Wha? Where and how is that happening? I don't even see how the gases have burned for a third time, let along a forth? Does this mean that my leaky flue collar is a penta burn level? What about the chimney cap? There's lots of oxygen up there. Perhaps that's the 10th level of combustion?

Corie, there are only 6 degrees of separation between you and the heating universe. Hexanary burn is as far as it goes. ;-P

Corie said:
It gets to the point where one has to wonder: How many friggin times are we going to claim we're reburning or burning gases before they leave the stove?

Here is the way I see it:

Primary air sweeps across the glass and provides the main oxygen source for the burning wood. Some of this primary air is often diverted by various means, directly into or directly above the coal bed via a dog box or ports located near the coal bed. The wood burns via this air, however as we all know, it does not do so completely. At this point, secondary air is deliver to the area above the burning wood to reignite the gases. That's it. Sorry, there are no two more burns.

Some stoves divert some PRIMARY air directly at the front of the baffle and call it tertiary. Its just primary air causing a little more SECONDARY burn. Quaternary burn? Wha? Where and how is that happening? I don't even see how the gases have burned for a third time, let along a forth? Does this mean that my leaky flue collar is a penta burn level? What about the chimney cap? There's lots of oxygen up there. Perhaps that's the 10th level of combustion?

You're correct Corie. Best I can tell there are only 2 types of combustion in wood stoves thus far, primary and secondary. If you read Quads explanation of their system they do state that there are 4 burn (air) zones areas--not 4 stages of combustion. That is where they come up with the Quadrafire name. To be accurate though, it should be called the Quadrazoneairfire stove. All kidding aside, I do like the way it burns.

Corie said:

Corie, I agree...Seems they all have different names for the same thing. The thing is reburning the gasses = smoke before it leaves the stove thus making it clean burning and efficient

Corie said:

I think this is the result of the fascination by a couple members on this site (mostly last year) about sustaining an independent secondary burn as a sign of successful dampered-down operation. Visually cool, for sure. But in my experience, this isn't possible on all stoves, and isn't desirable on most. One could make a point that a successful stove design creates an unavoidable collision of the rising flames with the secondary air stream...

Some stoves divert some PRIMARY air directly at the front of the baffle and call it tertiary.

Hmmm... I thought the tertiary was the air fed to the front center, right at bed level, to stimulate the fire. I'd like to see someone make that adjustable, say via a set screw, so you can compensate for different wood types. Softwood needs alot less of it than hardwoods.

precaud said:
I think this is the result of the fascination by a couple members on this site (mostly last year) about sustaining an independent secondary burn as a sign of successful dampered-down operation. Visually cool, for sure. But in my experience, this isn't possible on all stoves, and isn't desirable on most.

What is not desirable with cleaner burning and an immediate 100 degree increase in stove temp? (not talking about overnight burns here, just heat.)

I think you missed my point, BG... an "independent secondary burn" means no primary flames...

No, I caught it. That's where I end up setting the air control, that's why I asked. I often find the point where there are virtually no primary flames and secondaries are sort of wafting over the logs. Is that not efficient?

Back to the OP, I will give one more vote in the Quad IR column for ease of use, reliability, heat pumpin', stump burnin', hunk-a-hunk of burnin' love. Its a great stove, that has 2 levers (manual). One is for startup air (push in/pull out) and the other is for primary air control (slide left/right). Simplicity. Reliable. Works as advertised. I have somewhere around 30+ cords worth of ash that this has made. Not a single issue.

While a fine stove, I think the IR is out of their budget. If they are going big, an Englander 30NC is their best bet in this budget range.

It's efficient IF a stove can do it and burn the whole load... my experience is, most stoves can't. Of the 3 that I have, the F602 can, the others can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.