Anybody burn Quadrafire stoves or Dutch West non cat stoves with Everburn? Please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the Holy Grail of long, clean, non cat burning...no primary flames and sustained secondary burn. Best heat and mileage per split IMO..I strive for this with every fire.

precaud said:
It's efficient IF a stove can do it and burn the whole load... my experience is, most stoves can't. Of the 3 that I have, the F602 can, the others can't.

For me and my stove the secret is to have the wood loaded up high close to the tubes/baffle. Instead of laying the splits out the full width of the firebox stack them to get the most height, the flames will be closer to the baffle and light off the secondaries much easier.

BeGreen said:
While a fine stove, I think the IR is out of their budget. If they are going big, an Englander 30NC is their best bet in this budget range.

If budget doesn't allow the IR I would jump on a 30NC in a heart beat. I wish I had a need for a stove, I would love to crank one of those things up just to watch the simplistic beast chomp on the wood.

Gunner, methinks type of wood may play a factor in this for me. I don't have access to hardwood.

True, I burn hard and soft wood and it does seem to work better with hard.

HI,
Well, if you'd like to read about Eberburn and the like go to the thread entitled, "Eberburn does not engage".
Having said that, I've been doing lost of research since that thread started. Craig is right about Eberburn being a CFM thing. It is the addition of a refractory chamber to the original down draft design. Basically, a superheater that burns gasses. The secondary burn tubes used by Quad and the baffle on the PE stoves seem to deliver the secondary burn more quickly and therefore you are burning with lower emissions, more often.
I have begun to figure out the Eberburn; it takes quite a lot of getting use to. I had the VC Defiant CAT most recently; it was a delight and if I don't by a Quad Isle Royale, I will rebuild and reinstall it. SO THE MESSAGE IS: you can get use to the Eberburn and make it work, it'll take longer than the Quad or PE stoves and flat out make you mad you bought it.....I am stuck with Quad because my wife wants top loading!
Go look at Quad, PE and Morso (others w/secondary tubes if they catch your eye): see what you and your family like from an asthetic point of view, make sure you size it so you won't be pushing its limits all the time to heat your space, buy and enjoy!

Hey Corie,
what about a cat stove? I have primary, then secondary bursts in the fire box, and thirdly a glowing catalyst. Isn't that tertiary burn?

Ron, buy a cat stove! :coolsmirk:

No, there is only primary burn, and secondary burn. Secondary combustion can occur in 10 different places in any given stove (not to mention the chimney).

Coming from a Dutchwest non-cat owner - I say go with a design that is more user friendly and easy to operate. But like someone pointed out, the Isle Royale is twice as expensive (but a great stove). The NC30 is a great value, but has limited features and asthetics.

Brothers!, I swapped stoves at the dealership and purchased the Quad 3100. it sounds like a good stove. The dealer is currently burning a Defient Everburn for their floor model and I spoke to the person who tends it. He is burning bio bricks and has no problem engaging the Everburn. The bio bricks however have only 7% moisture, dont know what dried wood has but probably more. I told him about the difficulty people were having and my concern, but he didnt know of any real problems. He was helpfull. The glass on the Defient was black however and he said he had thought of contacting VC about this. Maybe the bio bricks were the cause of a good burn but black glass. I also showed him the pamphlet I got from them as compared to the online info for the DW nc from VC. The stats didnt match. He pulled out some new pamphlets and sure enough the info on the earlier pamphlets didnt match the new ones. It seems the Medium DW nc went from 52000 btus to 40000 and also from a 12 hr burn to 10 hrs. He was helpful and spent extra time with me even after they closed for the night, also the price difference was not that much, he gave me a little more off than I was they were going to give me. The Quad will take about 2 weeks to get however. Thanks for all the great input on the 2 stoves in question! I watched that Canadian video on epa verses smoke dragon stoves and the first one on how to properly burn--I am now a beiever!

Status
Not open for further replies.