Anybody complain about fines in their cereal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peirhead

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
PEI Canada
I guess I am a pellethead now..this morning my wife and I started complaining about the fines in our cereal boxes...I think shreddies are the worst!!

I alway feed the end of my Cheerios to the chickens I hate ceral fines.

You guys are way overboard now...... :)

Deffy said:
the fines in rice krispies are the worst. its a shame, i just bought 6 tons of rice krispies too, its out in the garage.

how much do you eat a day? i seem to go through 1.5-2 boxes? is that normal?

heheheh

I think Wheat Chex have them all beat.

I've built a simple filter for cereal fines, involving a couple of inclined planes, gears,pulleys, 3 mirrors and mothballs. I store all the fines accumulated in an empty Froot Loops box, which I will return to Sam's Club when full. As a matter of fact, all I have to do is call them and I've been promised they will come to my house with necessary equipment and swap me for a new, full box.

my stove Er bowl can burn uh take them all, I figure I paid for the weight not the just the good pieces, it just makes my auger um spoon jam every so often.

I think one's area and income level has a big impact in the type and value you place on cereal fines.
Myself, it's oatmeal, which by it's very nature is high in fines. The upside is that I've been told it's good for my exhaust system. I was warned about them jamming my auger system, but haven't found that to be the case. As I use a multi-fuel system, which I run 24/7 as a primary btw, I've found a blend of milk, butter, and honey with the oats to give me the most efficient burn in my firepot. A passing glance when cleaning shows that I'm getting a clean burn from it as well. One thing I have found with the oatmeal is that if I tumble the container before using them each time keeps the fines more evenly distibuted so that when I get to the bottom of the box I don't have a pile of them only. I've tried other cereals, but haven't had as good a return verses the effort put into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.