Anyone burning in an apartment?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
A recent post by new member 'Guacamole' in the Woodshed got me curious: Is anyone burning in an apartment, or know someone who does? What are you burning in? Open Fireplace? Woodstove? Insert? How much do you burn? How do you get & store wood?
Interested to see just how hard-core the membership here gets. All I've burned in an apartment is candles & a few dinners.

We're in the process of installing the Timber Ridge in an accessory apartment located in my house.

We'll be off of oil completely :)

I've got a buddy who just installed a Woodstock Keystone in the two bedroom apartment above the art
gallery complex that he owns. At present, he has to haul the wood up a steep set of stairs to the
apartment, but his wife loves the warmth of the new wood heat.

I went up the Mammoth a couple of years ago for a birth, in January no less! I was surprised to see the walkway/railing of the apartments in town filled with firewood! It could have been more for ambiance, but it was a lot of wood, so I would guess it was at least supplemental heat.

Three or four years ago Cory the young stove engineer was burning in his and the sig other's apartment in Philly. He posted a picture of them beside the wood stack in the apartment and they stacked wood on the balcony too.

When I'm bringing in an armload of wood in the wet snow & gumbling about it I'll have to remember that some poor sap is hauling wood up an apartment stairwell...

When I’m bringing in an armload of wood in the wet snow & gumbling about it I’ll have to remember that some poor sap is hauling wood up an apartment stairwell…

Interesting to imagine a hundred or so years ago when a large home had several fireplaces, or stoves, that needed a supply of wood 24/7 all winter long... X all of the cold parts of America...

Rob

I'm in a townhouse, if that counts. I'm getting close to finishing installation of my stove (T4). Hopefully I'll be burning or at least breaking in in the next couple of weeks. My wood has been on my deck for about 6 months now and I'm down to about 15-20% on the meter, so I'm ready to go. Hopefully I have enough for this winter - about a cord for part-time burning - supplementing electric baseboard in this relatively mild climate. I've got about 1000sq/ft to heat.

When I used to appraise homes I saw quite a few row house/brownstone apartments with old coal fireplaces in them. Many were walled off, many were not. I don't know how much they were used.

Matt

I had an apartment with an open fireplace for about a year, in 2007. I loved it. I lived in South Texas, so it's not like we needed a lot of heat. The apartment was newer and very well insulated and I dunno what they did with that chimney, but that sucker heated the whole damn apartment. We turned on the heater once during a freak ice storm and wore socks to bed, and that was pretty much it.

~Rose

kenny chaos said:
Why wouldn't you burn one in an apartment.
Oops sorry, wrong forum.

Dude !!!

:lol:

I dont get it............just kiddin'. I get it. Im a joker-im a smoker.. ;-)

I'm a midnight tooker, I get my lovin' on the run...

*insert gittar slide here...wherp, wherp*

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.