anyone ever burned white pine???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
how is it? does it take long to season... never heard of it before and guy is trying to sell it for 80 cd

white pine is one of the softest pines it burns quite fast , but not quite as hot IMHO as other pines do , it will season quickly , and is not too bad as a "shoulder season" wood , but keep an eye on your flue unless you have a reburn type stove , the "pitch count" is quite high. i'd burn it if i didnt have anything much else to burn , but its not a favorable wood to burn.

There is so much hardwood in New England, you don't need to compromise and burn white pine.

stoveguy2esw said:
white pine is one of the softest pines it burns quite fast , but not quite as hot IMHO as other pines do , it will season quickly , and is not too bad as a "shoulder season" wood , but keep an eye on your flue unless you have a reburn type stove , the "pitch count" is quite high. i'd burn it if i didnt have anything much else to burn , but its not a favorable wood to burn.

what do you mean by "pitch count"
i have some oak but seems to have gotten some water in it was thinking i could use to mix in and and keep the fire hot

I love to burn white pine. I burn only well seasoned white pine in my Englander stove out in the garage. It provides quick even heat with some excellent flames. I used to burn hard wood in the stove out in the garage but the coals would build way to quickly. I can burn the pine all day long and never get overloaded with coals. My glass stays clean and my chimney has no more creosote than the stove in our house. The Englander in the garage does not have the secondary burn tubes. I find the white pine to season very quicly 6-9 months. I burn it soley for our camping trips and sell some on the side during the summer months to fellow campers. As a side note if you decide to burn white pine every now and again you will get a piece that has alot of sap on it, you may want to put that piece aside as it will burn like it was soaked with kerosene. I put white pine in the category of (One mans trash is another ones treasure) If its cheap enough or free give it a shot, I personally love the stuff.

snowfreak said:
I As a side note if you decide to burn white pine every now and again you will get a piece that has alot of sap on it, you may want to put that piece aside as it will burn like it was soaked with kerosene.

^^^^^ thats what i meant by "pitch count"

I burned a couple white pine splits today to mix in with my oak. I had a large white pine(24" dia.) come down about 2 yrs ago and I am burning during the afternoons just to get rid of it. I probably wouldn't pay for pine, in fact, I'm almost tempted to let it rot. I'm sure If I kept it covered instead of exposed it would burn better but I only cut the tree for clean-up.

It makes great kindling, especially the stump. But as noted it's light even by pine standards. I think all pine seasons fairly quickly.

Being here in NH with virtually every friggin hardwood there is available, I didn't used to burn much. With the Keystone cat stove, I've started burning more of it since I have a lot of it in my woods and actually really like it. It's great on warmer days or for short fires to get you through until it's time to put in a long burn load. I think it's got a bad rap since it's such a light wood that there is far fewer BTU's in it. Aside from that though it burns great. I don't think the "pitch count" is really an issue as long as you can control the burn and if you burn it hot or in an EPA stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.