Anyone familiar with the Ash Dragon and it's effectiveness?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
Is this an efficient method of removing ash from the stove? It is pricey, but the size seems like it would make wielding it around the inside of a small firebox nearly impossible? Any first hand impressions, and are there similar or better alternatives? Would like a recommendation for an ember sifter as well. Thank in advance!

It looks like a rip off to me. $100 for something you can do with your hearth shovel? As Sprinter said it looks like it would be very awkward to maneuver inside most stoves. Using my large ash pan in my Jotul F 600 it's easy to move ashes from the stove to my metal can outside. One my Woodstock Classic without an ash pan I bring the bucket to the stove and just shovel directly into it and then put the metal lid on the bucket to carry it back outside.

Smaller metal can, welding gloves, ash shovel with slots/regular ash shovel = $20 at most and gets the job done.

Put on the gloves, use the shovel with slots to sort out usable coals to the side, hold the metal can inside the fireplace door so fly ash gets sucked up by the draft then use a regular ash shovel to pickup the fine ash to put in the bucket. Put it outside on a non-combustible surface with a top and a brick on the top just in case till it cools down.

Just a quick safety note: Whatever you use, get the ashes outside right away even in a metal bucket because there still can be smouldering embers in there putting out CO.

Reactions: Elle
I've been flicking the usable coals to the side already, and just shovel the ashes into an ash bucket. I always put the bucket outside on concrete, even when it's been two days since my fire "went out". I just thought that it was gimmicky as well, but even more than that that it would have been more hassle than its worth given the size of the unit.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Looking at the video at the site has me wondering if the model got any burns from doing this? Shoving that thing into the stove with its handle placement had her hand very close to the metal of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.