Anyone from Michigan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
Last week a storm came through my parents place and blew over the neighbors tree onto their property.
The neighbor is telling my parents they have to pay for half because the tree fell onto their property. Is that right
are they responsible for half the bill?

Let me get this straight, your parents neighbors tree fell onto your parents property and they are telling your parents that since it fell on there property they have to pay for half the damage? Yeah my car crashed into your house but since its on your property you have to pay for half, Yeah, right!!!!

The previous response pretty well sums it up. Tell the neighbors they have 3 days to contact ins. co, & licensed tree service for removal & renovation of any property damage. If they haven't made the proper arrangements by this weekend call a tree service of your choice, get an estimate, & have them present it to the neighbor. Pretty good bet your point will be made, & made properly. That tree is the owner's responsibility, & their homeowners ins. should cover it. A C

What kind of tree and where in Michigan? If it's local maybe one of us can take care of it for your parents.

As for the neighbors, they're crazy. Your parents are not responsible for anything.

The guy must be from an urban setting (like way south of the border Check his car for bumper stickers supporting Jimmy Carter or Neville Chamberlain). If your folks insurance company has to pay for damages they will go after your folks neighbors insurance company for reimbursment. Who knows maybe a crack head moved next door to your folks. If he has frizzy and weirdly curled hair maybe he was trying to find what the juice in a 110v socket tasted like. (and the list goes on and on and on). However maybe your folks could send him the bill for the landscaping co. repairing the lawn???? Wouldn't he at lesat have to pay half just because he lives next door?

+1 Where in Michigan?

no man- in the mood I'm currently in, give me an address, this crap will stop. AC sounds quite sensible, and while I'm diggin' Cave2k's theme, I doubt that's the case. The neighbors are wrong.

Edit: I just reread the OP and finally I understand the situation. D'oh! (slaps forehead)

If the neighbor's tree fell on your parent's yard, and they are offering to pay for half of it, your parents should take that deal.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ummm- get an expert in here, but I'm not at all sure the situation is clear cut. This whole area derives from English common law, which basically says that any branches of [strike]your[/strike] a tree that overhang a neighbor's property can legally (though perhaps not wisely) be cut off by that neighbor. Similarly, any fruit falling from your tree into their yard is theirs. Any branches falling off into their yard are their responsibility. If [strike]your[/strike] their tree falls over and lands in [strike]their[/strike] your yard, I believe it is on [strike]them [/strike] you to get it removed and cleaned up. Up to the property line, at least. If they really wanted to be pis*y, I suppose they could leave [strike]the bottom trunk and root ball[/strike] half of the tree for your parents to remove, and take care of only their half. Was it a property line tree? Those are especially problematic. You know how much a good surveyor charges these days? In the low thousands, if I recall correctly.

But here is where it gets a little dicey- if they (your parents) knew ahead of time that the tree was in ill health, a leaner, rotten, etc. and they had [strike]warned you, [/strike] warned the neighbors, and then it fell on their yard, in that case they could [strike]come after you[/strike] go after them for any damages. This stuff can get real complicated. What if they didn't say anything, but they lie in court and claim that they did? Ah, but nobody ever lies in court, right? :coolmad:

I'm not at all sure that [strike]the neighbors[/strike] your parents have any recourse. They may have to just suck it up and have the tree removed themselves. They may or may not win in court or through their insurance to recover expenses. A trial is not about 'truth' or justice or fairness, it's simply a contest to see who has the better lawyer. The "share expenses" route may ultimately prove extremely wise, and the least expensive way to go. It is real hard living next to folks who hate you. Food for thought...

True, it was an 'act of God' and probably totally not under the control of [strike]your parents-[/strike] anyone- but sometimes peace is beyond price, and greatly better than the alternative. Depends, I guess, on whether Hitler and Chamberlain are involved. ;-)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Personally, I'd try to not report things if they can be remedied fairly cheaply. On the ground? Cut it up, chip branches, stack rounds, split cost, done. Insurance companies love to cancel policies and jack up rates on a whim. I save the insurance for the big stuff, not the trivial stuff. I know a friend who got canceled by their home owner's insurance company for too many little claims.

If either family has already reported this to their insurance agent, then the two companies will work it out. It will be a hit on your parent's insurance claims history, not the neighbor's.

If that's the case, then I say back the chipper up to the property line and give him back his tree.

So I guess if snow blows from my neighbors yard into my driveway, I still gotta shovel it.

jeff_t said:
If that's the case, then I say back the chipper up to the property line and give him back his tree.

So I guess if snow blows from my neighbors yard into my driveway, I still gotta shovel it.
Yup. Or put up snow fence in the fall. ;-)

Call the insurance company and get their opinion. They may be responsible for any damage done to your parent's yard plus the cleanup costs.

Its in Shelby township which is a little north of Detroit. Well I thought the same thing everyone else thought. But I wasn't sure since
the auto insurance is no fault I thought maybe home owners was the same. To top if off my parents said half the bill was $800.
Now I've never had a tree removed but that seamed like a lot of money.
I was going to offer to cut it up and haul the big stuff away and all they needed to do was have the brush taken away. But I can't legally bring the wood across
state line.

no man said:
Its in Shelby township which is a little north of Detroit. Well I thought the same thing everyone else thought. But I wasn't sure since
the auto insurance is no fault I thought maybe home owners was the same. To top if off my parents said half the bill was $800.
Now I've never had a tree removed but that seamed like a lot of money.
I was going to offer to cut it up and haul the big stuff away and all they needed to do was have the brush taken away. But I can't legally bring the wood across
state line.

I'm not far from Shelby(about a half hour), if they end up having trouble let me know. I'll take the saws over there and get rid of it for them and give the branches back to the neighbor. :) What kind of tree was it

"Hi, I believe these branches belong to you" :lol:

It's Cottonwood. I talked to my dad a little while ago he says it wasn't the whole tree that fell just a big branch. But the guy feels bad for the branch taking out there deck
so he is having the tree taken out. I told him I didn't think it was right that he has to pay half the bill to get the tree taken out. Not remove the branch but have the tree taken out.
Well he seemed ok with paying for it so I'm not going to worry about it any more. Its funny I talk to my mom and get one story I talk to my dad and get another.
I was really thinking about taking the tree till he said how big it is. About 4 or 5 ft in diameter thats alot more than I could handle.

I love when I talk to my folks and they do that to me. :lol:

When my parents lived in Lansing they had a tree from their yard fall and cause some damage to their neighbor's house. My parents reported it to their insurance company, who said it was the neighbor's problem. The neighbor's insurance had to take care of it. My parents felt bad about that, although I think not bad enough to pay out of pocket.

no man said:
I talked to my dad a little while ago he says it wasn't the whole tree that fell just a big branch...Its funny I talk to my mom and get one story I talk to my dad and get another.

I'm eating humble pie over the whole thing. I've been so wrong- er, ahh- misled. :lol:
It's been an interesting thread, however.

image007.jpg

DiscoInferno said:
When my parents lived in Lansing they had a tree from their yard fall and cause some damage to their neighbor's house. My parents reported it to their insurance company, who said it was the neighbor's problem. The neighbor's insurance had to take care of it. My parents felt bad about that, although I think not bad enough to pay out of pocket.

Yep. The only thing that might change that would be if the neighbors had previously warned your parents that the tree looked like it might fall. Then they could yell "negligence" and maybe get some relief in court. (The insurers would fight it out) But that's usually only for big ticket items that greatly exceed costs to prosecute.

I live close to Michigan, in Ohio, and down here we have a word for Michigan drivers. The reason being, their insurance up there is crazy. For cars they have "No Fault Insurance," if you are hit by someone, your responsible to have the insurance to take care of it. Not a totally bad idea to force everyone to have insurance, but takes the accountability away from who's responsible. May be home owners insurance is something like that. I'd contact my insurance company, report it and see what they say. If the neighbors don't do anything the insurance would take care of the damage and then go after who's responsible. Maybe the neighbors don't have insurance.

Folks there also call it "Your Fault" insurance. It's universally despised as far as I can tell.

I did not like it at first but it has worked out okay for us except the rates went up. However, the rates will go up no matter what...

Status
Not open for further replies.