Thoughts on the Scan A10 in a large house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maxfiels

Nov 14, 2023
Corvallis Oregon
I recently moved a large, used manufactured home (~3000sqft) onto my property. The wood stove that came with the house was rather damaged. In storage, I happen to have a Scan A10 with soapstone top and sides in good condition. Even though the stove seems a little small for the home, I’m thinking of installing it to save on cost, since I already own it. Since it is an older stove, I’m having a hard time finding info about the stove. I am looking for advice about whether or not the stove would work for the space, or if it pays to save up and get a bigger stove. Info about the home - it is a large single story with a long footprint and 12 ft ceilings. I am thinking that whatever stove I put in may only heat the living area and not the bedrooms, simply because the shape of the house. Does anyone have any thoughts on this stove under these conditions?

Thank you

3000 square feet is a lot to ask for with any stove. Your high ceilings make it effectively 50% larger by volume.

I’m not familiar with the stove you want to put in, but I wonder if the old stove was damaged from being pushed too hard?

That’s a small European stove. It would heat a room and a smaller one at that with 12’ ceilings. If you have no budget for a new stove and it’s that or nothing maybe. But…. It will probably be replaced sooner. What f you have an existing venting system and it fits and meets all clearances your not out anything. If installing a new chimney then just naught as well but something you can get a tax credit on (stove and chimney) and install to the clearances of new stove plus a bit of you ever want to change it out to a different one.

If this is like a long ranch design, you probably are right to assume that the stove will only heat the area it is in, even if a larger stove is installed. Unless fans are used to convect the heat to the further reaches of the house, most of the heat will be in the room where the stove is.

A floorplan sketch would help visualize options.