anyone got a green egg?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoveguy2esw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2006
madison hgts. va
my boss gave me a green egg smoker a couple weeks ago and i used it for the first time today. OMG! cooked some 3/4 inch pork chops in it. i may never use the gas grill again! anybody out there looking at smokers , look up green egg! if the pig that gave up his loins knew he was gonna get em cooked in a green egg , he'd probably run to the slaughterhouse. what a great piece of equipment.

i know this is a bit off topic, but im as impressed as i have ever been over a grill/smoker.

I use a weber smokey mountain smoker, and it is amazing. I have seen the egg and I have heard they were expensive.
38 lbs. of turkey cooked Thanksgiving in 4 hrs. good luck with your cooker. Anyone smell pork butts ?

I've wanted one for evvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver.

THe price is a little prohibitive.

are you hiring? i need benifits like that. we sell the green egg, there freaking fantastic!!

I can't afford one. I spent my money on a wood stove.

Welcome to the last grill/smoker you'll ever need to buy. I've had a Large for years. People generally smirk about my ravings until they are lucky enough to be invited to one of our BBQs. There is a very active user community on the web, join us at the obvious address.

Oh, when you are ready for the ultimate upgrade to the ultimate smoker, get a BBQ Guru. http://www.thebbqguru.com/

No affiliation with either company except as a very satisfied customer.

yeah, ive wanted one for quite a while, boss would have us up for barbeques and such sometimes and he would cook on the large one he has, man is an unbelievable cook! anyway , he had ordered some in through a friend of his that is a distributer, and ended up giving me one. bloody thing is built like a ceramic tank. i have no doubt that it will last as long as i do. im gonna pop up on the website in a little while and snoop around. seriously, im not usually one to get cranked up over things like this , but ive been cooking on a weber gass grill for quite a while ( i hate brick charcoal) but this thing even has its own charcoal! its not briquettes. just real charcoal, looks like burned wood that didnt quite get to ash stage. cooked for 1.5 hours (had a bunch of chops) and it wa still going strong and steady at 320 degrees. you could dial it in like an oven. my poor weber ( which by the way is an excellent gas grill (not wanting to make it sound bad) that ive cooked on forever might just get lonely.

Welcome to the world of lump charcoal. Its all I use in my Weber kettle grill.

I figure, even if I can't have the best grill, I can burn the best fuel. I burn chigger creek charcoal, which I have shipped to me from Kentucky, I believe. I've tried the Green Egg brand charcoal and really liked it, but it was higher priced and harder for me to get.

If you ever want to explore other lump charcoals, check this site out!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm

Yeah, strangely I had trouble locating good lump charcoal when I moved to New Hampshire. Someone on the BGE forum turned me on to Royal Oak which is sold by my local Agway. They manufacture the BGE-labeled lump. It is quite good and in plentiful supply here.

How long can you keep that green egg around 225 degrees?

can you do it for 8 hours? 10 hours?

when its time to reload the firebox, do you have to remove the meat?

Ive never used one, a freind has one, he swore it was the best thing ever, 3 years later, he gave it away.

Is it a GRILL?

or a smoker/cooker?

It is both an excellent grill and a sublime smoker. I sear steaks at 750+ degrees. I slow cook pork for 20 hours at 220. I never reload it during cooking. If that is ever required it is user error.

Never reload for 20 hours? of 220?

how much fuel are you putting in there?

vgrund said:
It is both an excellent grill and a sublime smoker. I sear steaks at 750+ degrees. I slow cook pork for 20 hours at 220. I never reload it during cooking. If that is ever required it is user error.

I really don't know exactly how many lbs of charcoal that represents. All I can tell you is that I buy maybe 5 bags of Royal Oak charcoal throughout the spring/summer/fall season during which I cook A LOT on the egg, but I am not a competition cooker. For a charcoal grill, it is very fuel efficient. It is also worth noting that lump is nothing like briquettes. It burns down to a very small amount of ash. I clean it out about every 3-5 cooks.

we sold severl XL's to a baker here in boulder, the make wood fired french bread in them that will knock your socks off.

Tom, good man! What smoking wood do you prefer with your Turkey?

Have used just the lump charcoal, mesquite (a little too sharp for my taste), and, this year, hickory (my favorite so far with poultry). Eighteen lb. bird, 6 hours at 225-250. NO drippings in the pan, the juices ran like a river when I carved. A friend who usually deep-fries his bird came for dinner, and agreed that the Egg produces just as juicy a bird, with a much better flavor.

Note to Egg owners: if you haven't got the plate setter, get it. It stands between the charcoal and the food, blocking the direct heat from the charcoal so you can cook just with the smoke.

My longest smoke was a big beef brisket, went 12 hours at 200 degrees on about 5 lbs. of charcoal, and still had some lump left in there.

Thats one reason im asking so specific questions, I use a mix of lump OAK charcoal ( local plant) and preformed briquettes.

the briquettes burn alot longer.

Interesting concept, tightly sealed, insulated cooking vessel.

Its just hard for me to envision a couple of racks of ribs, a butt, and a whole chicken in there.
( thats my normal summer routine for a 16-20 hour WEEKEND) session.

and doing it with so little charcoal, I might grab that one from my freind and play with it.
He gave it to another freind of ours, that owns an offset box cooker like mine, and he hasnt used the egg yet

vgrund said:
I really don't know exactly how many lbs of charcoal that represents. All I can tell you is that I buy maybe 5 bags of Royal Oak charcoal throughout the spring/summer/fall season during which I cook A LOT on the egg, but I am not a competition cooker. For a charcoal grill, it is very fuel efficient. It is also worth noting that lump is nothing like briquettes. It burns down to a very small amount of ash. I clean it out about every 3-5 cooks.

ozarkjeep said:
Its just hard for me to envision a couple of racks of ribs, a butt, and a whole chicken in there.
( thats my normal summer routine for a 16-20 hour WEEKEND) session.

The Egg has much greater capacity than you might imagine. Each has a lot of capacity... My Large has never been maxed, but if you are really concerned about it you could get an XL (overkill IMO).

Attachments

• good bge.JPG
    good bge.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 278
  • grill-extender.jpg
    grill-extender.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 286
Status
Not open for further replies.