Anyone have a doggie "spot" in the yard?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming

We have a Border Collie and a Leonberger.
When we just had the BC the yard was manageable as far as dog doo. We would get pee spots but reseeded these areas with good success. I have heard female urine is worse on the grass than male?
I keep up on it daily but wonder if its possible to make a "go" area in the yard.
Our yard is small and have always enjoyed keeping it nice for entertaining. I am wondering if the yard will be no more with the two dogs. Thought about making a corner of the yard with a border and sand, gravel, mulch or something to attract them to this area. Fire Hydrant? We love our yard and wonder if we will be fighting a losing battle? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Can't blame the dog for spreading the wealth. I tend to avoid stepping in my own deposits too.

You have chosen to keep these animals and to share the space with humans. I like animals too. You will need to clean up the solids frequently to avoid stepping in it and dead spots in the lawn are unavoidable.

Can't blame the dog for spreading the wealth. I tend to avoid stepping in my own deposits too.

You have chosen to keep these animals and to share the space with humans. I like animals too. You will need to clean up the solids frequently to avoid stepping in it and dead spots in the lawn are unavoidable.
Oh, i am not complaining, i fully understand what it takes to keep animals, not something that surprises you when you decide to get dogs, just looking for an alternative. I understand the maintenance needed and do it daily.

My guy doesn't have a go spot, but if I notice him using an area frequently I'll shoo him away from it and treat it with lime. That will neutralize the acidity in the ammonia and let the grass continue to grow. I think it also covers up the smell so he is less inclined to keep using the spot also.

Matt

This is a tough one that I don't have due to woods in the back yard. Without woods, I suppose you could carve out a section of lawn (10x10) and fill it with mulch of some other material and train the dogs to go in there. You could do this by getting them on a lease and reward them I suppose. Not sure what else you could do...

Female urine is worse than males, generally. I know folks that make areas for their dogs and have trained them on them, but you can't make the area too small.

Lime is not a real fix, as the urine is not actually acidic. It's high nitrogen that causes burns. Flushing the spot with lots of water should help- otherwise, reseed.

Saw things in one of those skymall mags that are supposed to help train the dog for this, but I believe maybe 10% of what I see in there.

I trained our GSD to go in the bush. In Winter when the snow gets deep she will cheat a bit and go on the edges and yes, female urine does leave dead patches.

Thanks guys, just a thought. Curious if anyone had any luck with this.

I tried feeding my mastiffs a higher quality food, thinking less filler and better utilization would make for less poo. It turned into an experience I'm still trying to forget :eek:. Purina dog chow and lots of poop it is. Tried getting them to go in the weeds, and sometimes they do. They aren't the most ambitious creatures, and sometimes don't feel like walking that far. And forget it in the rain.

I tried feeding my mastiffs a higher quality food, thinking less filler and better utilization would make for less poo. It turned into an experience I'm still trying to forget :eek:. Purina dog chow and lots of poop it is. Tried getting them to go in the weeds, and sometimes they do. They aren't the most ambitious creatures, and sometimes don't feel like walking that far. And forget it in the rain.
What kind of dog is in your avatar? Very good lookin dog. I am feeding blue buffalo and solid gold. Both supposed to be 5 star foods. I am so not in the mood to change diet. That can get bad in a hurry. LOL

Our mastiff will hold it till she gets home from a walk in the woods to use the lawn.:rolleyes:
Morning urine seems the most potent , I tried flushing the morning ones ( it does work) and just gave up after a while.

What kind of dog is in your avatar? Very good lookin dog. I am feeding blue buffalo and solid gold. Both supposed to be 5 star foods. I am so not in the mood to change diet. That can get bad in a hurry. LOL

We have two mastiffs. Not the best pic, but the only one I have of the two together. Brother and sister. 2011-11-24_11-15-16_640.jpg
Actually, sister and brother.

Our mastiff will hold it till she gets home from a walk in the woods to use the lawn.:rolleyes:
Morning urine seems the most potent , I tried flushing the morning ones ( it does work) and just gave up after a while.
This happened to me yesterday, took both dogs for a nice long walk up and through the park. A good hour walk. The minute we get in the back yard, both dogs do their duty. Whatever...

My vet claims most dogs will learn a surface preference. So if you teach them to go on sand, mulch or whatever they may not go anywhere else but on that surface.

Just a thought if your thinking of a sandy or mulch area.

The dog we have now was born in Nov. and the first spring when the snow melted he would look for remaining snow piles to go on. :eek:

I have trained all the dogs I have had to go in a preferred spot. It was pretty easy.

Here is how I did it.
Choose a command that the dog will understand I use “time to go potty” Make sure to use this command consistently.
When your dog shows signs of needing to go potty attach a leash to his collar, take him outside and lead him to the area. Give the command “time to go potty”.
Take the dog to the spot first thing when letting him outside and don’t let him run around to play in the yard until he’s done his business–keep him leashed. This teaches him to get his business done right away and will pay off for you down the road.
Each time the dog performs within the area, give lots of happy praise, playful pats and a treat. Whenever he shows signs of wanting to go in an area that’s off limits, say “no” or “not there” and lead him to his area.
there’s a slip, give no praise, no treat, no attention and no play. Make sure to clean up immediately and water the area well so he won’t smell that spot.
Being consistent and watchful is key and you’ll have to hover over your dog and keep him leashed when outside for a couple of two weeks to make sure he consistently goes in that spot. After two weeks you can try letting the dog out without his leash and watch. If he goes directly to his spot first to take his potty break, you know the training is working. If not, keep the leash on for another week and then try without the leash again.
After a solid four weeks of perfect performance and close monitoring, you can relax and be confident that the habit is being set successfully. Still keep your eye out though and correct mistakes immediately. Be sure to keep the assigned area clean. Dogs aren’t too happy tip toe-ing through stacks and piles of poo and urine. They like their bathroom areas clean like we do. During training you’ll want to keep a scoop or two within the area so the dog has an idea where to go, but be diligent in keeping the rest of the area clean. Water the urine spots well with water and scoop the poop as it happens, do a daily cleaning and watering if possible. After the habit has been set, you’ll still need to do your part in maintaining the potty area or the dog will start looking elsewhere to do his business.
Take regular walks with your dog so that he’s also accustomed to doing his business in back alleys or side roads and fields. The one thing you don’t want to do is train your dog to think that there is only one spot he can ever go to the bathroom. This will be a real problem if you travel with him or have him stay elsewhere when you’re away–the dog will suffer and absolutely not go potty until his body physically forces him to. The idea is to teach your dog there’s only one place in the yard he can go, not just one place no matter what.

Reactions: kettensäge
Status
Not open for further replies.