Anyone have a US Stove Company stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
stay away fro the epa exemp ones, should be fine

I went to Tractor Supply today to check out these stoves in person. They seem like they are well put together, sturdy and good looking stoves. The Magnolia has a huge fire box that seems to be designed to load N/S. The one thing I don't like about it is that the door and opening are small. Seems strange to have a stove with a large firebox but a small opening to load the wood.

The Country Hearth stove has a decent sized firebox that is really wide but not as big as the Magnolia. It has a larger door and opening than the Magnolia though.

Just by looking these stoves over for 10 - 15 minutes in the store they seem be a pretty good value for $899 and $699 with a blower included.

Magnolia
48bd969b.gif

5c4df3e1.gif

Country Hearth
43e99a90.gif

2f5a647f.gif

You can find Englander stoves for close to the same price. You don't have to ask for an opinion on those. Everybody seems satisfied.

I would stay away from that little one. Not radiusing those corners of the door opening in the firebox is just cracks waiting to happen.

FWIW Im pretty new at this but I notice many of the more expensive stoves are more "serviceable" For example Ive seen many where the top of the stove can be unbolted and the baffle replaced if/when needed. (Or the baffle removed from the inside) Now Im not sure if that is a common need or occourance. Now on the Magnolia it seems like it is basicly welded shut rendering any access to the baffle a non issue.

I also noticed in the Specs of the Magnolia that the efficiency seems a bit lower and the emmisions higher than other similar "EPA" stoves.

For example the Magnolia, 5.7gph emmisions and 65% efficiency rating

Something similar sized I could find real quick, The PE Spectrum Classic, 3.4gph emmisions and 82% efficiency.

Dont know how much any of that will matter in the final decision. If the Magnolia was sitting there and I was cold I would be chucking the wood in it ;)

I saw them at Farm & Fleet right next to the Englanders. I think the Englanders look a little more stout but cost a bit more. The baffle systems are similar and I don't like the ceramic baffle boards, I'd rather have a s/s or fire brick baffle in there. Lopi has the Republic stoves that I believe are in the same price range maybe a little higher and have a better baffle system imo.

summit said:

I'm wondering why you say this. More info would be appreciated.

I'm renting a house and just before I moved in the landlord had a wood stove installed. It's a United States Stove Company model 2007b (with the blower). I have used wood stoves before but never one of these. I downloaded the manual from the company's web site and it does say "EXEMPT PER EPA METHOD 28A".

I'm wondering how to operate this one most efficiently. The only info the manual provided was for installation instructions and parts.

madhattie said:
summit said:

I'm wondering why you say this. More info would be appreciated.

I'm renting a house and just before I moved in the landlord had a wood stove installed. It's a United States Stove Company model 2007b (with the blower). I have used wood stoves before but never one of these. I downloaded the manual from the company's web site and it does say "EXEMPT PER EPA METHOD 28A".

I'm wondering how to operate this one most efficiently. The only info the manual provided was for installation instructions and parts.

Epa exempt units have wide open fixed air inlets in lieu of a 2ndry burner: i.e you can't shut them down. These units will not give you a good long burn, and burn up fuel pretty quickly unless you "modify them", thus making them burn very dirty. You can use 'em, but it's feast or famine, raging hot or no burn at all. I'd shy away from putting a overnight load of wood into one.

albertj03 said:
I just started looking for a new stove to replace my little CFM stove. I noticed these stoves at Lowes and just saw them on the Tractor Supply website. They look nice and the price is right. Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-i...states-stove-2000-pedestal-wood-stove-1098917

I looked at the user manual for this (model 2000) and it says nothing about whether it is EPA exempt or not. However, the manual provided plenty of information about operating the stove (unlike the user manual for my model).

The manual for the 2000 is here:
http://www.usstove.com/Downloads/Owners Manuals/2000,2500.pdf

One caveat.... The product plate attached to the back of my 2007 model says "made in China". If I was purchasing a wood stove I would look for something else. I'm stuck with this one because I had no input about what wood stove the landlord would provide.

summit said:
Epa exempt units have wide open fixed air inlets in lieu of a 2ndry burner: i.e you can't shut them down. These units will not give you a good long burn, and burn up fuel pretty quickly unless you "modify them", thus making them burn very dirty. You can use 'em, but it's feast or famine, raging hot or no burn at all. I'd shy away from putting a overnight load of wood into one.

Thank you. I've always used wood stoves with air inlet controls. The main reason I went looking for the user manual was to find out how to control the air intake and thus the burn on this stove. Now I'm disgusted. Obviously the landlord knows nothing about wood stoves. I will have to try discussing it with them. I may wind up buying a wood stove after all.

I looked at a Pacific Energy Super 27 yesterday and with the sales PE is having it's only a few hundred dollars more than a box store stove. I'm leaning towards the 27 right now but would like to see an Englander 30nc in person before making a final decision.

I love my 30-NC but the Super 27 will do a fine job for you. PE makes great wood stoves.

Home Depot is for sure. My local store didn't have any today when I was there but they will be getting them in soon they said.

fwiw, if you look at both of those stove with the doors open, especially photo 2, you can see the dust shadow from the door gasket. Many cast iron stoves have a slightly raised lip on the door frame that the door gasket presses into making a good positive seal. I'm not sure if other plate steel stoves have a flat face that the door closes against, but those stoves do not look like they would pass the dollar bill test brand new. Imagine in a few months when the gasket compresses and settles in, I can see lots of extra air getting in around the door making it unruly and possibly over heating. Save up and step up to better quality so you're not looking to upgrade in another year or so...

Jon

fishingpol said:
fwiw, if you look at both of those stove with the doors open, especially photo 2, you can see the dust shadow from the door gasket. Many cast iron stoves have a slightly raised lip on the door frame that the door gasket presses into making a good positive seal. I'm not sure if other plate steel stoves have a flat face that the door closes against, but those stoves do not look like they would pass the dollar bill test brand new. Imagine in a few months when the gasket compresses and settles in, I can see lots of extra air getting in around the door making it unruly and possibly over heating. Save up and step up to better quality so you're not looking to upgrade in another year or so...

Jon

Here is a picture of the PE 27 with the door open. The difference is easily noticeable.

6fe275bd.jpg

I looked at the us stove at TSC before I bought my englander 30. Baffles are welded in, so no replacing them. Got my englander delivered for $900 no tax or shipping best investment I ever made. Uses much less wood than my old ashley and heats my 2300 sq foot ranch enough that you think your in the tropics. Lol. Use to keep house at 67 degrees during the day and 64 degrees at night with propane. My wife and kids say they are cold when temp goes below 80 degrees in the coldest weather up here in Michigan. Yes we are all spoiled by this great stove.

fishingpol said:

Jon

Yeah I was concerned about not having the "knife edge" seal for the door like my old stove had. What has actually happened it that my door gaskets are lasting a lot longer and the sucker passes the dollar bill test heading into its fifth season with the original gasket.

PS: The door gaskets in both of my Jotuls are looking ragged in less time than the steel stove has been burning. That ridge is tearing them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.