anyone heard of a Menominee Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryooper

Dec 18, 2013
centralu.p.
hello all been reading and learning from the boiler room forum here for a while very informative, my question is if anyone has any knowledge about menominee boilers at all they went out of business back in the 80 s I am trying to find out what the btu output is for my MBW 7900 I have the installation manual but it doesn't have btu rating and also I would like to set up storage for the boiler do I need the btu rating to figure into amount of storage needed.

o k thanks webbie kinda new at this stuff just trying to figure out how to get maximum efficiency out of my boiler for an old unit it does a good job heating 3,000 sq. ft. its piped in to a HX to forced air not exactly set up the way it should be but its a work in progress and heats from Oct. thru April on 8 to 9 cord of wood. Thanks again love the great info on the hearth.

I service a couple systems that have Menominee boilers in them and have never seen any kind of a data tag on them that would indicate rated output.
One of the owners has all the original paperwork and there is nothing in that either.
They are a very stoutly built boiler.

Yes they are well built this one was installed in 1980 I ve had it for 3 yrs. it looks like new how do your customers who have them like them.

Only one is actually in service. The other one is in the system yet but not used because of the owners advanced age. Wood burning no longer in the picture.

The other one is still in use as far as I know....haven't been there since 2011. At that time there were no issues with it and I didn't look at it specifically.(was there replacing a zone valve)
The owner said it heated his house fine and burned pretty clean as long as he had good seasoned fuel. He mentioned that the boiler and the chimney became very "gunked up" (his words) if the wood was not primo and if he ran it in any weather above 25*. Too little time spent firing good and hard. I would guess the heat loss on his house to be in the 60-70,000 btu range at -10*. Maybe 35,000 at 25-30* so that gives you an idea of the capacity of the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.