Anyone in TN, KY, VA Area With Gasification Boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatboy63

Feb 6, 2010
Northeastern TN
I live in northeastern TN, 15 minutes from the TN, KY, and VA border. I plan to build a homemade gasification boiler in the next couple of months. I have been reading and getting all the knowledge I can find and understand the principle and theory. I would like to find someone realitively close to my area who has a gasification boiler either inside or outside who would be willing to let me come out and take a look. I am not wanting to take measurements and copy it, but just take a look at a couple of different types and put my own idea together. With the current economy, I can't afford to spend $6000+ for a new one. I do own a welder, plasma cutter, etc and enjoy using them as a hobby. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't anyone around my county who has anything more than a regular OWB. I figure if I am going to build one, I want to do a gasser and not have to sit back and think "If only I had of...". Thanks in advance.

These are deceptivly complicated, so much so that some stove manufacturers had trouble I've read. You might want to consider either copying a boiler or buying a more inexpensive gasser like an Atmos etc. There have been some very successfull Garn copies(opps, look alikes) here, the critical dimensions were all borrowed though. I was going to do the same thing you plan to & then started adding up the steel price & everything else. I bought an Atmos for around $3,000, I imported mine. You can get them for about the same price here now. Good luck, Randy

Thanks Randy. I understand what you are saying. I think the most critical area/concept of a gasser is the secondary chamber and combustion area. The volume of hot, fresh air is what will either make or break a gasser. That is why I wanted to get a look at an actual unit. I don't think the size of the firebox is so much as important as the size of the port that introduces the "smoke" into this secondary chamber. I can always rig up a device to adjust the amount of fresh air coming from the inducer fan so that it can be the correct amount.

Yes, a gasser is a carburetor, metering combustible gas into the lower chamber. They can be built as I've seen them on Youtube. Make sure you do use an inducer fan as you say because a pressure fan would probably be a lot of headaches. You do want to be concerned about the primary chamber also because the gas is generated there & must produce the proper amount. Not all gassers have water wall primaries, my Atmos doesn't & hot air is drawn horizontally through 4 jets over the fire from a hollow space wall. Randy

dancarbo said:
I have an Econoburn 150 and am located near Tazewell VA. I will be glad to let you look at mine if you desire.

Dan
Thanks Dan. I appreciate it. Can you pm me a phone number and good time to get in touch with you and we can set up a time. It will probably be at least next week before I will have time to make the trip, if it is ok with you.

Just wanted to thank dancarbo for allowing me to look at his setup. It was actually the first gasser that I have seen in person. Dan is on the way to having a great setup. Thanks again Dan. BTW, I came home the way you suggested. It was 17 miles shorter, but cut 40 minutes off the travel time and was better road.

Status
Not open for further replies.