Anyone in Wisconsin????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd posting, really getting the feel of it now! I hope I'm not hijacking all of the threads. Lots of great advice, love it! So, I've noticed that most of the people on here are from Ohio, and primarily New England area. What's the deal with that? Found a FEW from Wisconsin/Michigan/Minnesota... not many though. Seems the pellet stove era is late arriving to my neck of the woods, and VERY popular on the Eastern Seaboard. You guys seem to always set the trends, we're late to follow. I know a very small handful of people with them. Anyways, anyone with a pellet stove in Wisconsin on here? Comments? Will it cut the cheese? (pardon the double pun). Most of the advice I've gotten (and GREAT advice, may I add) is from New Englanders, and Ohians (be not offended, Mrs. Longlivethejeep is a true blooded Ohian) But if I believe correctly Ohio and the New England areas don't experience as harsh of Winters as we do here in Wisconsin. I could be very wrong, but it seems Ohio is further south, and New England has a warm ocean somewhere nearby :) all leading me to think they're a tad warmer. And a simple 10 degree difference could mean alot while heating a house.

Second question for you Wisconsinites- WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET YOUR PELLETS!? I live in very rural Wisconsin- Bear Valley, WI actually. Where? Exactly. There is only one town with a population of 5,000 within 25 miles (Richland Center). Baraboo is about 45 minutes away, and Madison is around an hour. I'm not opposed to driving those distances for good quality pellets, if need be. I do make regular trips there anyways about once a month, so it wouldn't really be an extra expense, other than taking the truck instead of the Prius. No biggie, that gets wrote off in the fuel budget. Any suggestions? Prices on pellets for said areas? There are only 2 dealers in Richland Center (closest town). ACE Hardware sells Marth Pellets (premium hardwood) for $220/ton, and still Waiting on Chets Feed and Seed's prices and brands. Chet has a reputation for getting quality products in anything he does, so I do trust him to provide quality pellets. However he is a small business, so prices will likely be considerably higher than a high-output dealer in a bigger town.

Third order of business, I just have to say GO PACK! Thank you.

longlivethejeep said:
3rd posting, really getting the feel of it now! I hope I'm not hijacking all of the threads. Lots of great advice, love it! So, I've noticed that most of the people on here are from Ohio, and primarily New England area. What's the deal with that? Found a FEW from Wisconsin/Michigan/Minnesota... not many though. Seems the pellet stove era is late arriving to my neck of the woods, and VERY popular on the Eastern Seaboard. You guys seem to always set the trends, we're late to follow. I know a very small handful of people with them. Anyways, anyone with a pellet stove in Wisconsin on here? Comments? Will it cut the cheese? (pardon the double pun). Most of the advice I've gotten (and GREAT advice, may I add) is from New Englanders, and Ohians (be not offended, Mrs. Longlivethejeep is a true blooded Ohian) But if I believe correctly Ohio and the New England areas don't experience as harsh of Winters as we do here in Wisconsin. I could be very wrong, but it seems Ohio is further south, and New England has a warm ocean somewhere nearby :) all leading me to think they're a tad warmer. And a simple 10 degree difference could mean alot while heating a house.

Second question for you Wisconsinites- WHERE THE HELL DO YOU GET YOUR PELLETS!? I live in very rural Wisconsin- Bear Valley, WI actually. Where? Exactly. There is only one town with a population of 5,000 within 25 miles (Richland Center). Baraboo is about 45 minutes away, and Madison is around an hour. I'm not opposed to driving those distances for good quality pellets, if need be. I do make regular trips there anyways about once a month, so it wouldn't really be an extra expense, other than taking the truck instead of the Prius. No biggie, that gets wrote off in the fuel budget. Any suggestions? Prices on pellets for said areas? There are only 2 dealers in Richland Center (closest town). ACE Hardware sells Marth Pellets (premium hardwood) for $220/ton, and still Waiting on Chets Feed and Seed's prices and brands. Chet has a reputation for getting quality products in anything he does, so I do trust him to provide quality pellets. However he is a small business, so prices will likely be considerably higher than a high-output dealer in a bigger town.

Ummmm.......I would put a New Hampshire winter up against any place south of Alaska..... :) .....I hope you find some pellets at a good price and your right...these guys know the stoves top to bottom!!

. Its the slow season. In the Winter. This place is booming. There are people from Australia on here. I am one of the New M embers (Been burnin for awhile though) and I still cant get enough of this place. My Wife has Facebook and I have Hearth. LOL

Living in the Snowbelt in Ohio, is pretty harsh. 2-3 ft of snow in less than a day is common. New England is prob Colder than Ohio. But our average temps in the winter are always between 0 to 20 degrees. With days in the -10 to -20 range occasionally. As Far as pellets go. Most HD's, Lowes,, TSC and even Wal-Marts around here sell pellets. Do you have any dealers that are close by? Dealers will have a better quality pellet (Most likely, but not always the case). Make sure you buy pellets that are stored indoors. Do not buy pellets stored outside.

longlivethejeep said:
I've noticed that most of the people on here are from Ohio, and primarily New England area. What's the deal with that?.......

We live, unfortunately, in an area where many people have oil heat, and it is VERY expensive. Actually, ALL of the usual energy choices here are very $$, so we are forced to find something cheaper.

Hence, the great majority of members on the forum are from the NE.

I stand extremely corrected. That puts me to ease whether the stove will be able to heat my whole house. It seems it should do just fine. There are really people on here from Australia? And what in God's name are they heating!? I have heard oil is very expensive to heat with. Our only fuel option is propane and that is expensive as well. Not as expensive as oil, though! That makes sense, though- that you guys are forced to find cheaper fuel source. That's the same boat I'm in.

No one worth mentioning in Wisconsin...

Ah, Krooser. I ran across your price post from March. So, are the prices you posted still relevant to your area? Where are you located? You can PM me if you're not comfortable spilling it in a public forum...

And I beg to differ about no one worth mentioning in Wisconsin. Does Aaron Rogers ring a bell? GO PACK!

longlivethejeep said:
Ah, Krooser. I ran across your price post from March. So, are the prices you posted still relevant to your area? Where are you located? You can PM me if you're not comfortable spilling it in a public forum...

And I beg to differ about no one worth mentioning in Wisconsin. Does Aaron Rogers ring a bell? GO PACK!

Krooser is a BIG Help around here in the Winter months. Also. PM sent. Kinda unrelated. Like my other posts. Go Browns...... LOL (Maybe Next Year) :)

longlivethejeep said:

I just posted an answer on that thread... I'll get the current prices asap...

bad0351 said:
longlivethejeep said:

Ummmm.......I would put a New Hampshire winter up against any place south of Alaska..... :) .....I hope you find some pellets at a good price and your right...these guys know the stoves top to bottom!!

except N. Dakota. They get it bad there. Cold, windy, miserable. Gotta wear 2 pairs of boots in ND. Brrrr.

Did someone around here say something about pellets and wake me up? Is it time yet? Or can I go back to sleep?

Being a PACKERS FAN for most of my life(detroit lions suck)I have to respond.I bought uncle jeds pellets from your neck of the woods that are very good pellets.coobie

coobie said:
Being a PACKERS FAN for most of my life(detroit lions suck)I have to respond.I bought uncle jeds pellets from your neck of the woods that are very good pellets.coobie

How do you feel about "Da Bears" ;-)

bad0351 said:
coobie said:

How do you feel about "Da Bears" ;-)
Hell,I would even take the bears over the lions my son lives in chicago.My dad told me many years ago(1960)NEVER COUNT on the lions.coobie

fellow wisconisnite here, except I'm afraid we are so far apart that I can't offer much advise on locating quailty pellets.

I'm from Wisconsin also. Last winter was my first winter heating with a Harman stove that I bought from ESES dealer in Beaver Dam.
I am still looking for good pellets for this winter, but I will prob end up buying them from Sunburst in Ripon. Like to keep the money as local as possible and the pellets he sells are from Wisconsin as well.

F&F

tb dehnert said:
i also purchased my harman xxv from dealer in beaverdam wi.i buy my
pellets from him and live 20 miles from him, like the uncle jeds.

I bought the Advance, I live 37 miles north of him in Green Lake Co.
The sale went ok, I would consider dealing with him again as long as was just with him and not his daughter. She does the book/paper work and attempted to soak me for more money when they delivered it. Good thing I had my copy of the original receipt.
I felt bad for the delivery/install guy as he was caught in the middle.
In the end, it all turned out good........at least I think so.
F&F

Flash and Flare said:
I live 37 miles north of him in Green Lake Co.

F&F

We have camped at Green Lake Campround years ago.
You can't go wrong with Uncle Jeds, haven't had any probs yet.

Not from Wisconsin, But I sure wish I could find some of those brands around my neck of the woods. Also like those price's! :)

When you get a chance to try some of the brands some of us don't see, Could you please post some comments for the group?

south western Wisconsin here....

i acutally did not know what a pellet stove was until last spring when i bought my new house and it had one in it. LOL

my local menards has Indeck pellets and they did have some pennywise

local farm and fleet has lumber jacks and marth

home depot has... i think there called heat'ers?

I live in S.E. Mn and I got my stove and pellets at Warming Trends in Onalaska Wi.
Warming Trends has a nice selection of pellets on hand.
Priced from $225 - $300 depending on what you want. Prices are high right now
being it's heating season.

Another Wisconsinite here...about 20 miles west of you...

Kickapoo Biofuels in Viola is getting 170 a ton, cheapest around. They are a bit ashier, but cheap. TSC in Viroqua has Indecks, around 184, and Nelson's in Viroqua has ProPellets at 184. The Marth's from ACE are the cleanest I've tried, but they were about 4.50 a bag, if I remember right. I think Chet's price on Risley's was 225 a ton.

I'm burning the Kickapoo's, and mixing 50-50 with corn....working great so far. Can you burn corn?

Oh, yea...GO PACK!

Mill's Fleet Farm in Winona had Marth Super Premiums on sale last week. $4.69 a bag or $229 a ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.