Anyone know anything about J.C. Penny Co. INC wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbreitwieser

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2010
southern indiana
I have an old J.C. Penny Co. wood stove and was wondering where i can find any information on it. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 2,863
Looks like an old Franklin style stove. Similar to Sears.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site. But talking about a pre EPA stove here is like trying to talk about a Homelite SXL over at Racesaws.com hehehehe. Sorry couldn't resist. Looks Like a Franklin to me too.

While I can't tell you much about your stove, I do agree it looks like the Franklin stove by Sears. Typically the Franklin stove is known as a "Smoke Dragon", obviously because of the smoke it creates (inside & outside the home) but also because they are not very efficient.

If you are thinking about installing this stove in your home there are a few things to consider: Is this stove EPA compliant? If not, your homeowners insurance may not allow installation. Depending upon your local codes, they also may not allow installation.

I seem to see a lot of the Franklin type stoves for sale in my area. Prices range anywhere from $50 to $500 but considering our codes will not allow installation I would bet most of them are sold for scrap metal value.

Well i bought this place a couple years ago and they guy had this stove in the shed awready and left it for me, i use it from time to time, just tyin to figure out what type it was and if there is info about it anywhere around

Pardon my manners!

WELCOME to hearth.com!

I remember those stoves. They took a lot of wood for a very little bit of heat. Best used outdoors as a trash burner usually. Still I remember plenty of folks who installed them in their homes and seemed happy. But most did not keep them long because of the lack of heat for the amount of wood they had to stuff in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.