Anyone know of a stove-top thermometer with wind-up warning bell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about simple electric contact (micro switch size) set on the pointer of a stove top mechanical thermometer. base and pointer are common ground and wired to simple dc buzzer negative (old smoke alarm ?) Buzzer hot is wired to a insulated electric contact on top of thermometer. Setting could be variable like car points. Total cost. Maybe under $30.00. I'm going to Radio shack to look for a buzzer tomorrow.

You could get a normaly open bi-metal thermal switch for whatever temp you want and hook it to a small beeper. It would beep until you bring the temp back down to a safe range. Probably $10 :coolsmile:

I Like the idea that you can have your stove call you to tell you it's overfiring if your at work. But maybe it is still a bit overboard :)

That could be hooked up to my idea. how about a text message? ;-)

elkimmeg said:
Wrench is working on training his dogs they are trained to watych the stove and if the fire get to a certaint stage, they begin barking letting him know the stove air has to be cut back.

After all there is such a thing as a watch dog. No fancy thermo couplers needed..

LMAO! If I could just get my dogs to stay off the couch I'd be happy. It's a funny thing... outside my dogs are very well behaved, and will listen to my commands and be very attentive. But indoors they run the show! I think it's because I always did their training outside. Oh well, live and learn. I'll have to try when I get the next puppy, which hopefully won't be for many years... the current 4 dogs are quite enough!

All you techno geeks are cracking me up! I don't have any idea on 1/2 of the stuff you guys are talking about, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

-Kevin

The truth is we don't know what we are talking about either! Ha! :smirk: What do the dogs do, 2 barks for 200, 3 barks for 300 and so on? :) Quick

I am working on this project pretty hard. I don't want to go into all the specifics, but I will be using a microcontroller that reads the output from two thermocouples and then activates an overfire siren or a low fire warning beep. The temperature at which these sound devices are activated will be user adjustable since all of our stoves operate differently. Also, there will be a four line LCD screen that will display the two temperature outputs as well as the overfire setpoint for the two sound devices.

Does that sound about right to everyone?

Corie said:
I am working on this project pretty hard. I don't want to go into all the specifics, but I will be using a microcontroller that reads the output from two thermocouples and then activates an overfire siren or a low fire warning beep. The temperature at which these sound devices are activated will be user adjustable since all of our stoves operate differently. Also, there will be a four line LCD screen that will display the two temperature outputs as well as the overfire setpoint for the two sound devices.

Sounds cool, can it be read from across the room? What are the extra two lines of display for? I vote for a draft-gauge option.

I thought that too.

Only problem is, a manometer stuck into the flue pipe will become clogged over time and not function.

The extra lines are going to display the temperature set points that activate the warnings.

I'm bouncing back and forth between a few. When I decide on something final I'll bounce it off you to see what you think. Plus, I don't REALLY want to post it yet.

Corie, With that amount of work you might as well have an output operate the flue damper. Quick

Why not buy an oil burner tester equipment drill a hole in the flue and measure preformance temp ox co co/2 levels. It will measure draft flow temperatures Why invent what already has been invented?

Elk, it's more fun our way :p

Corie said:

Sounds like a good idea, definitely should work...

A few minor thoughts -

1. I don't see a real need to have the set-point temps displayed other than when actually setting them - I would rather have a larger 2 line display of the actual temps, and a switch to put it into "program mode" to set the alarm temps. (like an alarm clock)

2. The low temp alarm should be easily switchable - It's nice to be reminded to reload if you are up and about, but I can see someone willing to have the stove burn down at night and not want to be bothered with having to get up to reload, or listen to a beep... (The over-fire alarm should be loud and obnoxious...)

3. The Overfire alarm should have a "Yes I know" mode - push a button to temporarily silence the audible alarm while waiting for things to cool back down, if there is an alert light on a seperate trigger, probably leave it on - I'd consider an algorithym like "Wait 30 minutes, if still overtemp sound alarm; if temperature goes up 50* more than when silence button pushed, sound alarm; if temp goes 50* below setpoint, reset to normal.

4. It would be a "good thing" if you had the ability to do remote monitoring - I know many controllers come with, or allow adding, an ethernet port that can sent out periodic status messages.... My computer is in a different room than the stove, it would be nice if I could have a "monitor window" that would let me see what the stove was doing while I'm online.

Gooserider

I don't know how serious you guys are about creating a computer connected device, but it reminds me of a device you could connect with a former product we had at AT&T, an RS-232C NAU or some horrible name like that. One could connect almost any device to a computer with it. The whole scenario sounds geeky, like something my hubby would like to do. He and I each have matching computer science degrees, but I am so uninterested in computers and technology that it is almost funny. He is always writing programs and shell scripts, I haven't in years. We do have a Linux system, so I imagine we could invent something similar with one of the 10 or so old computers lying around the house.

BUT, we have a cooking thermometer device, has a long metal probe, can also be a timer, and can be set to beep when you reach a particular max and/or min temperature. It actually goes high enough in temperature to measure our stovetop temp (soapstone) so really I already have a device like you are talking about. Cost was about $15-$20 at some kitchen store. It isn't really designed for measuring the temp on top of a wood stove, but we use it for that quite often. Even if the number we get is not exact (it is also measuring the air I assume, as it is not inserted in the stove) we could come up with some temp that meant it was overfired. Other lower tech methods we measure our stove temp with are: how hot is the stove door handle; and how hot is the wood 'speed-drying' near the stove feeling.

Marcia

Has anybody thought of using a doorbell?

Sounds silly, but a bimetallic strip attached to the stove will bend with heat and work as a switch. You could use a simple magnetic thermometer that you already have on the stove.

Set it up so the doorbell (wired or wireless) rings when the strip explands to close the circuit.

You could probably even do it wireless.

Matt and trying to do it simple so it won't break.

EatenByLimestone said:
Has anybody thought of using a doorbell?

Sounds silly, but a bimetallic strip attached to the stove will bend with heat and work as a switch. You could use a simple magnetic thermometer that you already have on the stove.

Set it up so the doorbell (wired or wireless) rings when the strip explands to close the circuit.

You could probably even do it wireless.

Matt and trying to do it simple so it won't break.

That might work, but it does lack "Geek Appeal" :p The other issue I see is that those magnetic therms are already notoriously inaccurate, and I'd be worried about what adding the additional weight of contacts and the like would do to them.

Gooserider

All one has to do is pick up a flue gas analyzer, to figure out what going on in your stove. some come w connected with printer print outs. As for timing the stove, a common kitchen timer set to 10 or 15 minutes works well.

First - the "low budget" version flue alarm plans are available here:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1982-01-01/Mother-s-Flue-Alarm.aspx

I could have sworn I left a comment on that article ages ago but I don't see it there anymore. At any rate, it can be done even more easily and cheaper than they describe - just use a cheap ($5?) smoke detector, and wire it directly to the test button contacts.

For the computer controlled temperature sensor - DETAILED instructions for building something similar, that even creates graphs, can be found here:
$30 Historical Temperature Sensor System using PC,1-wire, Perl, MRTG

Although it would have to be modified for super high temps (replace DS18S20 TO92 Military), it should be doable.

I too would really like to work on something like this and I do not think it should be very difficult. I would like to graph not only the temps in my flue, but the temps in various places around my house, and adding alarm events should also be relatively easy.

GO CORIE, GO. I like the way your thinking. Oh, and I do like the idea of a larger display with the ability to put it into "program" mode.

I bought a $12 chime set from lowes. Testing by hand had it working. It's on the stove heating up now. The wires aren't in a way I'd feel safe long term... I want to see if the idea works before I figure how to mount it permenantly.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.