Anyone need a laugh?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
Almost unbelievable. It would be tough to be this guy's neighbor:p If posting this is against the rules scrap it. I just found it very funny and thought others here would as well. Light entertainment for a Sat!

Looks like a cold start? Mine looks similar for that brief period of warm up.

Wow...are they trying to light up some wet sawdust?! That's old school OWB territory there...

Old school or not--I do find the humor but omg---good thing they do not seem to have neighbors how scary for people who do not know about burning especially boilers even the bird sounds added a bit of humor to the video. Talk about burning wet wood and if I saw something like that I would call the fire department --good they don't seem to have neighbors...thanks for the humor..clancey

I see this a lot. Fortunately there's a little breeze. On a temperature inversion day with no wind, all that smoke just sits. Hopefully it's a cold start like Highbeam suggested, but locally I know of a few wood burners that have blackened chimneys like this and can be relied on throughout the winter to smoke up the neighborhood.

Reactions: Mt Bob
I think they are trying to hunt some deer - by suffocating them...

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Looks like my neighbors before he was forced to put up a very high stack. He would crank it up in the AM to heat up the house and then when the house was warm the air damper would slam shut and it would smoke lik that for a couple of hours. Not funny if you live near one;(

I saw that on Blaze King's new sales video. :) Seriously I used to see that a lot back in the day when folks were running Ashleys or other 1970's stoves

I feel bad for him. I know how hard it is to heat with green/wet wood. I hope next year is better for them.

We still see it all over here

I'm getting a headache just watching that! ;sick

That's actually impressive, I didn't think you could get that much smoke out of a chimney.

We have an older trailer park east of town, almost half of the trailers have old wood stoves with short chimneys, on a cold day it's just a constant blue haze coming from there.

My fear is those that can't differentiate between smoke and steam, it's cold enough here that I normally have steam coming from my stack, which could easily be misconstrued as smoke to those that don't know better.

They can tell by the steam vrs the smoke smell and it looks very different so don't worry about it..Most of all the houses have smoke coming out from their heaters when the heater turns on and most people are inside staying warm anyway...Your a good citizen...clancey

Reactions: ABMax24
That’s quite normal to see going on around my area. I would estimate at 95% of wood burners around here are old smoke dragons burning sub par wood. There’s one house a few miles up the road I always notice the chimney looks like an old steam engine. There’s so much thick white smoke trying to get out of the flue at once. Granted this is the same guy who’s wood pile is an actual pile in the yard beside his home.

Ignorance or just plain brain-turned-off isn't funny to me any more. Too many accidents on roadways, etc. etc. In my more cynical moods, I've thought some people need to have an ON button installed.

If that were next door to me i would be inclined to do something about it. Talk to the neighbor, followed by talk to the authorities, followed by alternate methods. People across the way used to have a rooster. In the middle of the city. It is legal here. The rooster just disappeared one day (nothing to do with me).

every so often on a cold start Ill get some smoke.. nothing like that in the video, it happens to my neighbor across the way also.. Sometimes the stove heats up faster then the chimney and when i close the damper the draft isn't where its supposed to be.. Im sure it happens to all of us.. But on a regular basis, that video is not a good thing

Ignorance or just plain brain-turned-off isn't funny to me any more. Too many accidents on roadways, etc. etc. In my more cynical moods, I've thought some people need to have an ON button installed.

If that were next door to me i would be inclined to do something about it. Talk to the neighbor, followed by talk to the authorities, followed by alternate methods. People across the way used to have a rooster. In the middle of the city. It is legal here. The rooster just disappeared one day (nothing to do with me).
Talking to them is certainly worth a try. But in. Most cases I have come across with customers they won't change.

In most areas the authorities can't and won't want to do anything. It isn't against the law

Here in rural upstate NY I see that a lot. The smoke doesn’t bother me, but I could see if you were sensitive to the smell it might.

Most of my neighbors who burn wood get their log load in the spring, and then don’t split the wood until burning season. So it’s seasoned in log form for at most 6 months. And this is a hardwood mix.

Some of them actually block the logs up, but don’t split until later. I’ve never understood it, as I CSS as soon as the tree comes down. Maybe a week or two after that at most.

I try to season for at least a year, but honestly I didn’t know about the moisture meter and being able to check the MC until I started reading on this site.
I had noticed in the past that wood like locust, red oak, and some hard maple took longer to season than the soft maple and ash I usually burn. Now it makes sense.

I recently switched from an old smoke dragon Timberline to a newer VC stove with some reburn tech. Not a new EPA stove, but not a smoke dragon either. Honestly I don’t see that much of a difference between the two as far as smoke output. When I first get it going, and when I add wood to some hot embers is when I get the most smoke. Otherwise there is barely any smoke coming out of the chimney.

My first year burning I did that at least once. I had a used CDW Rocky Mountain 1st Gen cat stove. And no idea how to use it. Sub par wood. I made all the errors. I walked outside one evening and saw that. I was horrified.

I walked in Lowe's a bit later and found a small Century on clearance. I picked it up and haven't looked back.

My neighbor buys log length in the spring, splits it mid summer and burns it in the fall. Prior to him extending his stack up substantially, he would set off the smoke alarms in my attic. If the conditions were right the entire neighborhood smelled like smoke.

Talking to them is certainly worth a try. But in. Most cases I have come across with customers they won't change.

In most areas the authorities can't and won't want to do anything. It isn't against the law

Yep. If i lived next door i'd likely know if my neighbor was a reasonable human being or not. Fortunately they are. Except perhaps the guy across the way who doesnt have a rooster any more.
🐓👈

I've burned less than optimally dry wood for a sweat lodge. It did not smoke out the neighbors - or us for that matter. Once it got going I'd put splits around the fire a few feet away to dry a bit more and to warm up. I could also tell, when I first started running a stove, that dry wood burned better so I put the newer wood in a separate pile & burned the old first. At that time, with a stove that was built sometime before 1985, I did not have that kind of smoke and i did look. I did go through some learning, and mostly it was motivated by being easier and safer. Its much easier to burn dry wood.

Hopefully, the clean air act follow-ons will get down to devices like that. No need to have your smoke alarm set off by somebody's chimney.

Yep. If i lived next door i'd likely know if my neighbor was a reasonable human being or not. Fortunately they are. Except perhaps the guy across the way who doesnt have a rooster any more.
🐓👈

I've burned less than optimally dry wood for a sweat lodge. It did not smoke out the neighbors - or us for that matter. Once it got going I'd put splits around the fire a few feet away to dry a bit more and to warm up. I could also tell, when I first started running a stove, that dry wood burned better so I put the newer wood in a separate pile & burned the old first. At that time, with a stove that was built sometime before 1985, I did not have that kind of smoke and i did look. I did go through some learning, and mostly it was motivated by being easier and safer. Its much easier to burn dry wood.

Hopefully, the clean air act follow-ons will get down to devices like that. No need to have your smoke alarm set off by somebody's chimney.
It doesn't really matter what stove it is if you burn it wrong with wet fuel it will smoke like crazy. There are a few areas that regulate smoke from chimneys. But very few and that isn't going to change any time soon. Nor do I want it to. Absolutely I would prefer everyone was a responsible wood burner and I try to educate people when I can. But with many there is no educating them.

Reactions: Dave_in_ABQ
But with many there is no educating them.
Such a frustrating truth. Normally intelligent, financially successful folks completely disregard any wood seasoning guidance/suggestion on more occasion than not. In my experience.

And they hate Pine:p

Reactions: bholler
I travel around quite a bit for my job and see stuff like that more than you'd like.