1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Anyone see Live & Kicking Lobsters $3.99 lb at the Market this weekend? See pics

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Don2222, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    My brother now works for the water department down on the base. He comes across all kinds of interesting vestiges of the navy occupancy. Heck, we used to sneak down to the beaches on the Navy side of the island. We'd swim around rusted metal skeletons of various navy enterprises. I think that's a superfund sight now :eek:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I'm sure it has quite a history...no idea what all may have gone on there over the (many) decades. I've never been anyplace where there were little signs on nearly every building that identified the year they were built. Where I grew up, things from the 1800's were "old". Back there in RI, those things wouldn't even be ready to burn. ;lol There was a torpedo factory on Goat Island at one time. When I was there, NTC was a multi-faceted training facility (thus my multiple assignments there over a period of years). If I was there in the summer, I loved going down to the Navy Marina and checking out a sloop and sailing the Narragansett Bay for the afternoon, then retiring up to the Lighthouse restaurant for an ice-cold frosty mug of brew. If I was there in the winter, I loved bundling up and trudging through the snow to the Officer's Club for a nice dinner and a Bass Ale (or two). Good memories of Newport. Ah...to be young again. <>
  3. nate379

nate379 Guest

Lived in Maine 18 years and I can count on one hand the times I ate lobster. They are the chit eaters of the sea, so no thanks!

Potatoes though, just about every meal! :eek:

4. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    For those of you hankerin' for a lobstah, there are a few of these places in Maine that'll ship overnight, Ayuh.

Here is just one of them.

http://www.thefreshlobstercompany.com/

Clams and mussels are part of the filters of the sea, just as delicious.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I kindof like the lobster industry here in Maine in terms of their philosophy . . . if it's over a certain size it goes back into the water . . . where it can continue to produce more young (ditto for egg bearing female lobsters) to be caught at a later date . . . besides at that age one has to wonder about the quality of the meat . . .
  6. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Lobsters get pretty tough over a few pounds anyway
  7. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    bought my wife lobstah dinnah while visiting Acadia...she loves the Cockroach of the Sea...I had the land meat. Meat should have at least 2, but no more than 4 legs (yeah, I'll eat a 3 legged pig). Remember, the rubber bands on their claws are to protect the lobsters from each other.....crazy sea monsters.
  8. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    ever see the taxidemied one they have at Brown's on the route to Hampton? Its the size of a medium dog.:eek:
    Adios Pantalones likes this.
  9. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    I don't care if they are the chit eaters of the sea...
    Give me a nice tender lobster smothered in herbed butter...
    friggin yum...;)
  10. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Ya- we love Brown's (and Marky's across the street). Remember to BYOB
  11. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I did the lobster feed for my father last weekend. Softshells are handy as you really dont need a cracker for the shell but there is a lot less meat. I usually figure 2 soft shells are equal to one hard shell. So the price for soft shells while great PR arent that great of of a deal. I generally buy from a local place in Portland that does high volume. They taste a lot better than the ones that the big supermarkets have.

There is some research that lobsters have taken over for cod in the gulf of maine. There are so many lobsters that the cod dont have a chance to repopulate.
  12. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Eh, I like my dog rare. >>
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  13. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    All right, I grabbed one after work, with a pound of steamers.

DSC01776.JPG
    Defiant likes this.
  14. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    M-m-m-m-m M-m-m-m M-mm. I love (almost) all seafood, and especially lobster and steamed clams. At the same time, the very sickest I've ever been was after eating a New England Boiled DInner in Newport RI in 1976. It was amazing...just a couple of hours after dinner I was in extremis (I'll spare you all the details). I ended up in the ER at the Naval Hospital, and then admitted for 2 days, on a couple of meds, a liquid diet, and lots of IV fluids to re-hydrate me. Walking down to the head in my open-back gown, pulling my wheeled IV stand along beside me will be something I'm not likely to ever forget. Doc told me I probably ate a clam or a mussel that had been dead for a while & got into the human food chain and into my New England Boiled Dinner. Took me a long time, but I've now long since regained my love for seafood.
  15. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    You have to cook them right. We have had 7 to 11 pounders that were delish. Needed a hammer to crack the claws. IMG_0024.jpg Here is Holly 25lb. pooch rounding up one now. 100_1166.jpg
  16. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Huh . . . New England Boiled Dinners in Rhode Island must be different than those here in Maine. Up here a New England Boiled Dinner consists of corned beef, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, turnips, onions and sometimes beets to give it a red color (although some folks skip the beets.) Never had one with clams or mussels . . . maybe in a Seafood or Clam chowder . . . but not in a boiled dinner.
    Adios Pantalones likes this.
  17. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Ya, boiled dinner is corned beef.

Anyway, NPR had a whole report on the glut of early lobsters, the pices, and the hardships for lobstamen yesterday. Very timely
  18. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    Defiant likes this.
  19. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Oh, I could quite easily be misremembering the name of the entree. It was a big ol' bowl of mixed shellfish & some potatoes & stuff...maybe tomatoes. They, of course, had a name for it which now (36 years later) seems to have escaped me. I'm sure you're correct.
  20. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Maybe the clams came from the flats near the Naval base. _g
  21. nate379

nate379 Guest

My Mom makes it a little different than that too. Ham, carrots, cabbage and potatoes.

I just don't do lobster or crab. They eat turd and rotten meat all their lives, how is that supposed to be good?
  22. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Ask your king crab lovers!!
  23. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    Not fair! Give her a chance and take off the bands.

I've been around them all my life, something that is always special. They may be the cockroach of the ocean, but anything you can dip in butter is gonna be good.
  24. nate379

nate379 Guest

I don't hate it, but I don't like it enough to pay the price it's usually selling for either. The $4/lb isn't bad though, can barely buy hamburg for that price.
  25. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    Maybe we could "adopt a lobsterer". Eventually the prices paid by the corporate super-structure are going to put these people in the poor house. Products like lobsters that are available (for the most part) year round seem like the perfect products for direct marketing. Hard for me to get summer squash in February from a local garden.