Anyone see the Sopka line of wood and coal fired cook stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjnamtiw

Minister of Fire
While merrily googling along one day, I came across www.sopkainc.com and was impressed with the looks of these modern cook stoves. In this age of uncertainty, an alternate, non-electric source of heat AND cooking makes a lot of sense to me. It's especially true since my finished basement has a spare flue/chimney and it's not heated by my pellet stoves. I also have my long-term emergency food supply down there.

Anyway, I talked to the owner and found out these stoves are made in Serbia and are used a lot over there as primary heat and cooking sources, just like the old days. They also would throw in free shipping and a discount to get established here.. I'm holding off because I'm trying to rebuild an old Sears cook stove I bought for almost nothing. If it doesn't suit me, I'll sell it and get one of these.

They certainly look interesting.

Backwoods Savage said:
They certainly look interesting.

That's what I thought when I saw them. Kill 2 birds with one stone. You'd be amazed how many websites and books are devoted to cooking on wood/coal fired stoves. Also, if you look at the dimensions, they are a lot smaller than what our grandmothers and mothers grew up using. Sopka is introducing one that looks to fit right in where a regular stove fits. Of course, clearances would be an issue in most American homes with cabinets up against them but maybe they have made them zero-clearance???

When I was a small boy my mother cooked only with a wood stove. We have other relatives who did the same and one of my wife's aunts cooked so long with it that she was a bit ticked when she was presented with an electric stove for her 50th anniversary! But, she did finally learn how to run the new stove. lol

I've not looked around for web sites devoted to cooking on the wood stove but my wife seems to constantly have something on the stove all winter long. It has been a bit more of a struggle for her this winter due to the warmer outdoor temperatures so we don't have that much heat coming from the Fireview. Still, she does just fine.

I also had an aunt that used her coal cook stove probably into the 60's. I visited relatives in Slovakia a couple of years ago and they used wood cook stoves in the 'summer kitchens' that weren't attached to the house. They sure made some great food!
Oh, and there are a bunch of YouTube videos about cooking on them.

Pete1983 said:
They sure are snazzy looking ! You might find this link helpful it is top 20 cooktop sites.
http://www.top20sites.com/Top-Cook-Stoves-Sites

Pete

The Margin Stoves also caught my eye and with me being 1/2 Pa. Dutch..................... :) They are more the size and design of what we used to have 'in the good ole days'.

I can see why they look very nice indeed! We had an old rancher cookstove in the garage growing up and man that thing would throw the heat and cook even better. These stoves are way better looking than that old rusty rancher I am sure they would make a beautiful addition to your home.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.