Anyone still burning??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here we go again! Three inches of fresh white snow on the ground and it's still coming down. You bet I'm burning

Well, here we go again! Three inches of fresh white snow on the ground and it's still coming down. You bet I'm burning
We got the same here today. The roads were pretty bad for awhile. But I went and had my snow tires taken off of the car anyways so now it can blizzard! Lol I'm restocking the inside wood rack again....

Our temp is going to be going up and up overnight. As the flood continues. Supposed to drop five inches before it is over sometime this week.

Lots of my friends complain they love it down south at their "all inclusives" and hate coming back. I always remind them that where I live I don't have venomous reptiles or insects, no tornadoes or hurricanes and no earthquakes. I'll take my snow and smile as it falls from now on. I have nothing to complain about!

Yeah, a friend and his family moved to the Dallas area some time ago and I told him that they get some big tornadoes down there which he immediately poo pooed. But not since a couple of years ago when he could see the Yellow Freight trailers flipping in the air out his window! Lol

Reactions: Swedishchef
Lots of my friends complain they love it down south at their "all inclusives" and hate coming back. I always remind them that where I live I don't have venomous reptiles or insects, no tornadoes or hurricanes and no earthquakes. I'll take my snow and smile as it falls from now on. I have nothing to complain about!

Lived in FL for years as a kid, when we go back to visit the family I always warn the SO.

"If it's alive, (plant, animal, insect, fish, reptile, etc...) good chance it's poisonous, best just stay away from it. Do not go outside without shoes, do not put your shoes on without looking in them first (scorpions, spiders), when outside, don't venture beyond landscaped areas and keep an eye out where you walk. Don't go in the fresh water (endless list there all the way to the bacterial level), shuffle your feet in the salt water (sting rays), try not to drink the tap water, it's similar to pool water with all the chlorine in it."

Just lit another fire......

I just read that we got 124" of snow this winter. That's a lot for this area. We got 99" the winter before, 2012-2013.

Ps. The stoves going...

Woody, I was "behind the cheddar curtain" all last weekend and was surprised at the lack of snow that we saw-(didn't see). Sure was nice to go out and around without having to put on the boots and a heavy jacket! Then we came back to the U.P. And snow. And rain. And standing water/snow in the yards.

Woody, I was "behind the cheddar curtain" all last weekend and was surprised at the lack of snow that we saw-(didn't see). Sure was nice to go out and around without having to put on the boots and a heavy jacket! Then we came back to the U.P. And snow. And rain. And standing water/snow in the yards.
I know the U.P. Can get tons of snow and a lot of it from lake effect but with Lake Superior freezing this winter I don't know how much of that you got. But we had plenty of snow here and many pole barns went down from the weight of all of the snow where they had stood for many years. What part of the peninsula are you in? I've been to the Munising and Marquette area a few times, nice place! But if your up by Copper Harbor I could see where winter would be tough!

Well, all I can say is the NWS says that 2.6 billion gallons of rain fell here in the last 2 days. If you are into pictures of massive erosion I can snap some pics. Sure glad I got the roof and gutters, like they did any good, replaced last June. Contractors have stopped answering their phones now.

Sounds awful. I'm glad you are getting a much needed break.

Well, all I can say is the NWS says that 2.6 billion gallons of rain fell here in the last 2 days. If you are into pictures of massive erosion I can snap some pics. Sure glad I got the roof and gutters, like they did any good, replaced last June. Contractors have stopped answering their phones now.
Yeah it don't sound good out east! I've seen it on the news, everything falling apart. Car lots flooded. Hopefully your house didn't get flooded.

Yeah it don't sound good out east! I've seen it on the news, everything falling apart. Car lots flooded. Hopefully your house didn't get flooded.
As always, they're showing the extreme. We had two crappy days, ending in one hell of a rain storm Wednesday night, but most willing to pay attention to where the water is coming and going were just fine. I had a river thru the yard, and had to try a few different routes to get home that night (several roads washed out / under water), but the worst damage we had to the house was a little water in the utility room in the crawl space. Unfortunately, some stuff did get wet, but not enough damage to make me want to move to NW Wisconsin. ;lol

Last edited:
Video on the web of the block long street in Baltimore and the train tracks collapsing from the deluge is scary. Folks out of their houses across the street for up to 40 days at last report.

All I lost was one of the bridge rails but the erosion is unreal from it coming down that fast. Especially since a lot of my property drains down the used to be gravel driveway. The flow and the gravel go halfway down and then turns left into the woods.

Yeah, that sinkhole under the rail tracks was pretty serious. The again, I've seen them at times when there was no rain.

All of our water runoff areas have healthy grass, so erosion was kept minimal, here. I do have several yards of freshly laid mulch displaced from their respective gardens into the yard, though. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

Many times I wish I wasn't here too! Lol, I miss the burbs and there convenience. And theres too many hot heads around here. They act like middle school brats I swear! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.