Anyone Upgrading their Harman Double Paddle Fan blades to new non separating ones?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I took the double paddle blades off for cleaning. They came off fine but two blades seperated. Bending them back makes the blades work but still maybe slightly off balance. The slightly newer blades are only attached in 4 places but the newest blades are all attached.

See yellow arrows in pics of each blade below.

Cleaning behind the blades should be part of the yearly cleaning. If the blades are removed once a year, then they will not be impossible to remove.

Pic 1 - New upgraded blade and original 12 y/o blade
Pic 2 - Original double paddle blade with no blades attached to each other
Pic 3 - Newer blade has 4 petals attached - see yellow arrows
Pic 4 - Upgraded double paddle 5" fan blades with each top blade fastened to the bottom blade

Attachments

• HarmanDoublePaddleFanBlades (1).JPG
    HarmanDoublePaddleFanBlades (1).JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 353
  • HarmanDoublePaddleFanBlades (2).JPG
    HarmanDoublePaddleFanBlades (2).JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 313
  • HarmanDoublePaddleFanBladesYA (3).JPG
    HarmanDoublePaddleFanBladesYA (3).JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 336
  • HarmanDoublePaddleFanBlades (4).JPG
    HarmanDoublePaddleFanBlades (4).JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 315
This new feature of attaching each top fin to the bottom fin must be pretty recent huh? Any idea of when this came out?
Hi MePellet
I have no idea when it came about! However since I also had one with only 4 petals attached(See pic with yellow arrows above) it must have taken some time, It is just not something I really noticed until today when my old blades separated during cleaning! That separation could affect the balance.
What do you think? Are your blades attached?

I believe my blades are attached in 4 places like your pic 3. My stove was made in June or July of 2011.

Very interesting, I just got these blades this year!

Harman never tells us these things!

I put them in both of my stoves so, they are getting up to date!

You may want to check to see if you have a new 1.75 Amp combustion blower or the older 1.50 amp combustion blower? Probably not an aftermarket 1.0 amps or the much older Jakel 1.7 amps

See pics of motor tags I found on Harmans
Click pic to enlarge:
Pic 1 - Jakel 1.70 amps
Pic 2 - Gleason-Avery 1.50 amps
Pic 3 - Gleason-Avery 1.75 amps

Attachments

• aMuchOlder1.70mpOpenFrameGA1.JPG
    aMuchOlder1.70mpOpenFrameGA1.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 211
  • aOlder1.50mpOpenFrameGA1.JPG
    aOlder1.50mpOpenFrameGA1.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 192
  • aNew1.75AmpOpenFrameGA1.JPG
    aNew1.75AmpOpenFrameGA1.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
When I replaced my XXV's combustion blower in Jan 2013, the replacement fan was of the 4-bolt variety. And I soon after learned of the drawback of that style because I must have horsed it in too hard and bent a paddle, threw it all off balance. When the stove got up to temp it sounded like a herd of Tasmanian devils squealing in unison...and my wife was having a Pampered Chef party the next day! Replaced the fan blade and all was fine, but I am mighty careful when cleaning it now. If I swap it out now for a 12-bolt style, maybe I can go back to being the careless slapdash hack that I am at heart?

When I replaced my XXV's combustion blower in Jan 2013, the replacement fan was of the 4-bolt variety. And I soon after learned of the drawback of that style because I must have horsed it in too hard and bent a paddle, threw it all off balance. When the stove got up to temp it sounded like a herd of Tasmanian devils squealing in unison...and my wife was having a Pampered Chef party the next day! Replaced the fan blade and all was fine, but I am mighty careful when cleaning it now. If I swap it out now for a 12-bolt style, maybe I can go back to being the careless slapdash hack that I am at heart?

The only 4 bolt combustion blower that I know of is the very expensive AustroFlamm blower. Where did you get your 4 bolt? Do u have a pic oof it?
12 bolt? Where do you see that?

The only 4 bolt combustion blower that I know of is the very expensive AustroFlamm blower. Where did you get your 4 bolt? Do u have a pic oof it?
12 bolt? Where do you see that?
I guess I mean rivets? The things holding the pairs of paddles together.

I guess I mean rivets? The things holding the pairs of paddles together.

ok, yes, I have worked on the XXV and it is a tight fit getting the blower back in. Maybe that is another reason they went to the 12 rivets.

I got a new fan when I picked up a new combustion motor. I noticed the original blades were warped and some had separated (probably a result of rough handling by me cleaning them) so for $13, I got a new one with a rivet in each blade , so I'm guessing there were more than a few issues with the older style.

I got a new fan when I picked up a new combustion motor. I noticed the original blades were warped and some had separated (probably a result of rough handling by me cleaning them) so for $13, I got a new one with a rivet in each blade , so I'm guessing there were more than a few issues with the older style.

Very good, yes a few small issues but it is nice to see Harman is really on top of this stuff. Just wish they would let us know! LOL

I put 2 new fan blades in my stoves for this coming season and one new 1.75 amp combustion blower. Since the old 1.7 amp Jakel in the main stove worked good last year I am not changing it! It will be interesting how long it will last. The stove came from a house that was fed with natural gas and did not have an igniter!, so I suspect very low usage. LOL

I did the igniter upgrade and I am using it 24/7 now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.