Ready for Spring Nor'easter - Installed a Harman Pellet Stove Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

2-4" of snow in our forecast!

It got real cold this weekend 32 Degs at 11 pm Sunday night and the snow is coming in the morning. Boston and south of Boston School closings are coming in for tomorrow, the first day of Spring!

All the venting parts are in for the Big Selkirk DT install into the new workshop for some heat since it is 31 Degs outside right now! I really saved some money on this one, I got the major DT parts for $80 from a guy who uninstalled them because he did not like this system! DT is not for every stove, it absolutely will not work on a Magnum Baby CountrySide but it works super with Harman stoves! :)

So I picked up a dusty dirty old 2004 Harman Advance which has the glass hopper lid, iron firebrick and the 4 baffle panels that come out for easy cleaning. The models made earlier (not sure when?) had the metal hopper lid, vermiculite firebrick that wears out and the top 2 baffle panels do not come out for cleaning.

This stove did have the old burn pot on stoves made 2004 and earlier which does not keep the flame away from the firebrick backing so I just picked up a new burn pot, made a lytherm gasket and bolted it right in!

Also had to scrounge a new tile for the missing one on top and along with some new paint, I threw on a nice nickel trim kit.

Just to get good heat, I also put in a new circuit board.

The hearth was custom made by my new helper with our name burned in and of course built in Rope Light!

The install was tough, the first try made the cleanout too close to the hearth since the exhaust flange is so low. I finally figured out I could use the 45 Deg angle to my advantage and tip the cleanout T.
Since this venting is really heavy, I cut a piece of pressure treated 2x6 and nailed it in between the studs for some really good support. However I also had to add bracket extensions to keep the stove in the middle of the hearth. When the sheet rock goes up it will cover this nicely.

The combustion blower was in rough shape so I put a new one in with the upgraded double paddle fan blade for good measure.

Then when I went to fire the old girl up the auger would not turn, even though it did when I tested it. The motor was old and rusty. I turned the auger by hand and it turned freely then I thought wait a min, the auger motor is still attached! LOL
So I took a 4 RPM auger motor and installed it so I would still have some fire tonight!

Pic 1 - Dirty Dusty old stove with the old chain drive
Pic 2 - Label - Test Date June 1999 but MFD=5/27/2004
Pic 3 - New Combustion Blower - also see auger motor ready to die!
Pic 4 - New double paddle
Pic 5 - New Combustion Blower Tag
Pic 5-8 - Old Auger motor dated 2006 - only 10 years old!

Attachments

• HarmanAdvance2-#1-Before.JPG
    HarmanAdvance2-#1-Before.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 279
  • HarmanAdvance2-#3Label.JPG
    HarmanAdvance2-#3Label.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 273
  • HarmanAdvance2-#4NewCombustionBlower.JPG
    HarmanAdvance2-#4NewCombustionBlower.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 292
  • HarmanAdvance2-#5NewDoublePaddleImpeller.JPG
    HarmanAdvance2-#5NewDoublePaddleImpeller.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 292
  • HarmanAdvanceInstall (5).JPG
    HarmanAdvanceInstall (5).JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 304
  • BadAugerMotor2006 (4).JPG
    BadAugerMotor2006 (4).JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 326
  • BadAugerMotor2006 (3).JPG
    BadAugerMotor2006 (3).JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 278
  • BadAugerMotor2006 (2).JPG
    BadAugerMotor2006 (2).JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
More Pics

Pic 9 - Initial vent pipe fitting - Cleanout cap to low, this will not work!
Pic 10 - 45 Deg the cleanout T - Yes!
Pic 11 - Installed 2x6 and 4" venting bracket under DT OAK air take off
Pic 12 - Vacuum cleanout and flex OAK air looking good
Pic 13 - Outside vent cap
Pic 14 - 16 - All done and it works!!!

Attachments

• HarmanAdvanceInstall (1).JPG
    HarmanAdvanceInstall (1).JPG
    82 KB · Views: 326
  • HarmanAdvanceInstall (3).JPG
    HarmanAdvanceInstall (3).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 342
  • HarmanAdvanceInstall (6).JPG
    HarmanAdvanceInstall (6).JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 330
  • HarmanAdvanceInstall (7).JPG
    HarmanAdvanceInstall (7).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 355
  • HarmanAdvanceInstall (11).JPG
    HarmanAdvanceInstall (11).JPG
    99 KB · Views: 348
  • HarmanAdvanceInstall (10).JPG
    HarmanAdvanceInstall (10).JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 326
  • HarmanAdvanceInstall (8).JPG
    HarmanAdvanceInstall (8).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 353
  • HarmanAdvanceInstall (12).JPG
    HarmanAdvanceInstall (12).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 305
That's great, good for you on the stove and parts/install !!

The storm: here on Cape Cod we were supposed to hit the jack pot on snow accumulation, so far about an inch on the ground and they lowered our Winter Storm Warning to an Advisory status. We were to get up to 10", not sure what the prediction is right now but I don't think we will be seeing anything close to that amount. Not much wind either and wind is always a concern around here !

Nice clean up job! I too have the cleanout at an angle for the P43. course mine is that way because I need the angle, but is nice because I don't have to struggle to clean it.

Started snowing at my place shortly before 4 AM (it wasn't snowing at 3:40 when I let the cat out, but was at 3:50 when I let the cat in). By the time I left at 4:30 it had accumulated enough that I couldn't see the lines on the roads. I live in an area they said was at 0-2". Work is in an area that they are forecasting 2-4". Still not confident they have a clue ==c

Reactions: alternativeheat
Nice clean up job! I too have the cleanout at an angle for the P43. course mine is that way because I need the angle, but is nice because I don't have to struggle to clean it.

Started snowing at my place shortly before 4 AM (it wasn't snowing at 3:40 when I let the cat out, but was at 3:50 when I let the cat in). By the time I left at 4:30 it had accumulated enough that I couldn't see the lines on the roads. I live in an area they said was at 0-2". Work is in an area that they are forecasting 2-4". Still not confident they have a clue ==c

We ended up with 5-6 inches of snow this morning! Nice to have the shop heater going finally!
Do you have a T-Stat on your P43? I have the Lowes Iris system so I am picking up the iPhone T-stat and I have the official Harman Bulliten on how to hook it up. :)

Reactions: bogieb
That's great, good for you on the stove and parts/install !!

The storm: here on Cape Cod we were supposed to hit the jack pot on snow accumulation, so far about an inch on the ground and they lowered our Winter Storm Warning to an Advisory status. We were to get up to 10", not sure what the prediction is right now but I don't think we will be seeing anything close to that amount. Not much wind either and wind is always a concern around here !
I think of you when listening to Tim Kelly or Nellie on NECN, my kids started with a delay and changed to cancellation. Had maybe 4" of wet stuff. Made my kids shovel! 15 miles west at my moms house, nothing in the driveway!

We ended up with 5-6 inches of snow this morning! Nice to have the shop heater going finally!

Should be interesting to see how much snow I got when I get home. Areas that were only supposed to get 2-4" got up to 9".

Do you have a T-Stat on your P43? I have the Lowes Iris system so I am picking up the iPhone T-stat and I have the official Harman Bulliten on how to hook it up. :)
Yes, the P43 is on a T-stat, just a simple one though - not programmable, but I only need it to turn on when it is 71* in my office (half way across the house from the stove), and turn off when it gets to 73*, so I'm good.

Reactions: alternativeheat
We got just short of two inches here on the upper Cape and it's mostly gone now. the snow if you want to call it that ended around 10:30 am, a warm sun came out at noon, bright blue skies by 2 o clock yesterday. This morning is 32 out, 73 in the house on North American pellets. The rest of the 1.6" of snow we got yesterday will be gone today. So inland is where all the snow went !

Still had snow at my place when I got home - but only in shaded areas, so I don't think we got too much there. Still have snow at work this morning, which is South and East of my place - the closer to the coast, the worse the snow around here anyway.

Reactions: jackhammer
I just got the Lows iris T-stat on it last night so I turned it on from my bedroom this morning to warm it up while I have breakfast
Basically, I set the stove to room temp and the temp dial to 70 and then to turn the stove on, I set the iPhone to 95 degs and watch the room temp go up on my iPhone. The Harman will regulate the room to 70. Then I can shut it down or the Harman will shut down if the outside gets warm during the day.
In the cold days of winter I can set the Harman auto/manual switch to manual and the Harman will go to a low burn after the room warms up just like other stove with hi/low or I can still shut it down when ever I want with the iPhone.
Got a gimbal can light in the ceiling to shed some light and make it a real show piece too!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg