1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Anyone use a hand truck?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Black Jaque Janaviac, Oct 13, 2012.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

New site feature, kicks some serious a$$ for those of us that frequently quote multiple posts or like to interject comments. ==c

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I've used one a few times in backyard here or a few other places where its flat,works great same as contractors wheelbarrow does.But they wouldnt be helpful on the bumpy & steep slopes that 90%+ of my wood is cut from.
  3. Black Jaque Janaviac

Black Jaque Janaviac Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ouisconsin
    Master Mech. That's great for those of you. But is there any way to simply quote a small sentence or paragraph. I find this feature absolutely awful.
  4. AJS56

AJS56 Member

Loc:
    Central Lower Mich
    I think this handtruck thing is a pretty good idea! I have a hand truck in the barn and just might give it a try. Thanks!!
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Simply highlight only the part you want to quote and slap the "Quote Me" button. The whole point of the feature is to make it much faster/easier to quote only the parts of a post you want to respond to.
  6. AJS56

AJS56 Member

Loc:
    Central Lower Mich
    Hey - it works!
  7. Black Jaque Janaviac

Black Jaque Janaviac Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ouisconsin
    OK got it figured out thanks!
  8. Greg D

Greg D Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA

For lifting heavy logs just high enough to get something under for cutting, I have found that a simple garden pick (flat side on one end, pointy end on the other) has amazing leverage.

Greg
    albert1029 likes this.
  9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I use a P-handle dolly to move large rounds but not to elevate for bucking. With the dolly laid down, the handle ends up lower than the business end and the log might want to roll downward. When I bring a large round to the splitter, I have to set the P-handle onto something to elevate it so the round won't roll down hill. I thought of bolting a hook to the splitter to hang the P-handle onto. It would also work to tow the dolly behind the splitter when I tow the splitter behind my tractor.

When bucking on the ground, I just put pressure on the round with my left foot and can tell when there is just the bark left holding. I never ground the chain doing that. Sometimes I cut most of the way through and roll the log to finish the cuts particularly on uneven ground that may pinch the bar.

Some folk seem to like the TimberJack which is a cant hook with a foot attached. Others think it's useless. A cant hook is on my wish list but not the TimberJack.
  10. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Thing is, if you see something interesting and want to highlight it for a search, the whole thing lights up.