Anyone want a mult-hitch for their tractor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hi All,
Got a request for another hitch, but I'm out. If I can get six people, my brother will buy the stock and make them. See pic, attached--have installed them on Craftsman and Cub Cadet lawn tractors, but can probably fit most anything with some spacers and a couple bolts. Post questions here; if you've got one, please post reactions.

If we get 6, will be $35 plus shipping. Couple bucks more if using PayPal.

S

Attachments

• Copy of DSC01223.jpg
    Copy of DSC01223.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 650
I'm not trying to hijack, but I can't seem to find a hitch for my truck with enough drop to pull my little HF trailer. Is that something I could get made, too? (or does anybody know a good source for a BIG drop hitch?)

Danno77 said:
I'm not trying to hijack, but I can't seem to find a hitch for my truck with enough drop to pull my little HF trailer. Is that something I could get made, too? (or does anybody know a good source for a BIG drop hitch?)

You did hijack and I am going with you. :) This site shows up to 12" Drop ball mounts for 2" receivers. http://www.hitchcorner.com/ball_mounts.htm#drop_down

End Hijack.

Doesn't look like it would work on my '68 Cub 125. The back of my tractor doesn't look anything like that. If I thought it could work I probably would buy one.

Danno77 said:

Back to the hijack. I bought a 10 inch drop at Tractor Supply some years ago. They may still carry them.

/hijack

thanks guys. Reese makes an 11" and That link will cover the rest. Knew I'd get the help I needed here. Sorry to totally Hijack. Still thinking about one of these hitches, too. It would be nice when switching between the trailer and the wagon.

I just noticed that my trailer and wagon are the same height, so if I had a hitch like this I'd be dragging the rear of the trailer on the ground.

I just did a little measuring: the ball I just got will be only 8" off the ground - very low.
This solution is much better!

I got a second: CTWoodburner. There were three or four people in late summer, did all of y'all get something put together?

S

Don't do what I just did. I just pulled the splitter with the 140 lb. tongue weight around with ball mounted in the stock 5/8" hole. It bent down the stamped plate some. That whole area is weak and yet, is ulitmately the chassis that everything hangs off of. Shoulda spent more on a rugged garden tractor. That whole area needs reinforcing.

I could've told you that! Because of the set-up, there's a lever-type issue with weight. Essentially, that's good for hauling around items with <10 pounds tongue weight. When we made ours, the test was whether or not it would hold my brother, who is just shy of 270#. It held, even with him jumping up and down on it. With a trailer connected!

S

Yeah. But that whole area back there is thin on my rider. Even though most others are probably thin, from my survey at HD, this could be thinner.

If you look at the picture, so's mine--it's less than 1/4 thick on the Craftsman--most of these are made by the same people anyway. But the design is such that all the weight is spread to the whole back plate in a vertical fashion.

LL's is the same as mine, too--maybe he'll weigh in here. Maybe you should take the pics and your tractor to your local welder.

S

Yeah, you're prob. right.
I'd like to have the ability to tow around the splitter with the mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.