Anyone want to give advice on an Accentra insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickyrick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2009
Western MA/ Eastern NY
New to this forum but want to first thank EVERYONE for running this and posting. I have been reading this for weeks now.

OK here is the situation:

1880 SQ foot colonial near Albany,NY

Currently has Electric heat and is consuming 9,800,000 BTU per month just in heat for deep winters.

This averages 330,000 BTUs per day and I have every room on its own programmed thermostat.

Here are the Stats of the install:

Putting in a Harmon Accentra insert as a zero clearance instal with the zero clearance box, 3 inch pipe, OAK, and dog house on the outside of the home . Install will meet all code and has been approve by Building Inspector.

Accentra can feed 40,000 BTUs and I'm considering a thermostat just to rig the stove with the set back option detailed in here. I would set the stove to manual and let the thermostat kick it into low(error) mode.

Am I doing anthing glaringly stupid here?

I love the look of the Fireplace and the surround and this is going on one end of the house but will blow across the entire first floor. Once I get a better idea of heat I can Vent directly into the bedrooms upstairs but that is Phase 2....

I dont have the Zero Clearance Install but dont believe that will be of issue. I have mine installed in the Living room at the end of the house. Two story open plan. 1100sf on each floor. I set the on stove thermostat at 75.This usaully gets the living room up around the 80f mark. Using a small floor fan pointed at the living room from down the hall, the rooms at the furthest point will reach 74-78f. I use another fan to help the heat go upstairs. 3 bedrooms get to around 64-68, depending on the outside temp of course. Never went below the 64 last winter.
Your specs of 1880 might just be a little too much. It would all depend on how well sealed and insulated the house is. . My second floor is only 5 years old, and the rest of the house is new windows..
I wouldnt think the main floor would be a problem heating, but getting enough upstairs may be.
Good Luck anyway

If it was me, I'd really try to find something with a little more heat output, unless you're sure you can get REALLY good pellets.

Trickyrick said:
New to this forum but want to first thank EVERYONE for running this and posting. I have been reading this for weeks now.

OK here is the situation:

1880 SQ foot colonial near Albany,NY

Currently has Electric heat and is consuming 9,800,000 BTU per month just in heat for deep winters.

This averages 330,000 BTUs per day and I have every room on its own programmed thermostat.

Here are the Stats of the install:

Putting in a Harmon Accentra insert as a zero clearance instal with the zero clearance box, 3 inch pipe, OAK, and dog house on the outside of the home . Install will meet all code and has been approve by Building Inspector.

Accentra can feed 40,000 BTUs and I'm considering a thermostat just to rig the stove with the set back option detailed in here. I would set the stove to manual and let the thermostat kick it into low(error) mode.

Am I doing anthing glaringly stupid here?

I love the look of the Fireplace and the surround and this is going on one end of the house but will blow across the entire first floor. Once I get a better idea of heat I can Vent directly into the bedrooms upstairs but that is Phase 2....

well, one thing glaringly stupid would be to use 3 inch pipe when the Accentra insert has a 4 inch outlet......

The insert has a smallish output, but ANYTHING will help supplement your situation......a freestander, say a p68, can put out 68,000 btu's per hour.....

I have an Accentra insert in a cape-cod about the same Square footage as yours. Exhaust goes up the chimney via stainless steel 4" pipe. We use fans to blow air around. Stove does a decent job of keepong downstairs warm. Upstairs is a different matter. Usually around 62 degrees or so. If your not sold on an insert there are other free standing models that pump out more btu's than the accentra.

Status
Not open for further replies.