Apple wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hearthstoneheat

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Ever try it? I got some last spring from my brother who cut down a couple trees. I've been having good luck with it. It seems to burn pretty clean, long and fairly hot.

yep, nothing wrong with it at all. However, I haven't burnt a bit of it through the wood stove. I save it for the burn pit. Reason for this is I find nothing better than throwing a grate over some apple wood and apple wood coals then plopping a couple of 2 inch thick steaks on top. Yep, I'll save it for that!

pen

apple wood rates very high on the BTU chart. Better or equal to oak if I remember right.

Apple wood brings back splitting nightmares from my youth, but it burned very well.

Troutchaser said:
apple wood rates very high on the BTU chart. Better or equal to oak if I remember right.
+1 - very high BTU wood. The only problem is getting much of it! I've heard it's nasty to split, and, seeing that most are pretty gnarly looking trees, I believe it! Cheers!

I burn it all the time. My dad has a couple hundred apple trees and they are always taking some out or they die. I split with a hydraulic splitter so that's not a problem. Burns really well but the trees are typically small so you don't get much wood from them.

got one in the back yeard. waiting for it to die. till then the apples bring in deer so it serves a purpose and ill spare it from the stove.

...for now

Love the apple wood . . . both in processing it . . . burning it . . . and giving it to my buddy who smokes up ribs and then invites me over for dinner.

Wish I had some, but I definitely wouldn't put that in my heater. That would be reserved for the smoker.

I trimmed the trees last week and got about a 1/6 cord of apple wood. Not going in the stove though....smoker/fire pit grill fuel. Yum.

I put it in my heater, burns great. After it gets to the coal stage, I open the top door to my heater, throw in the grill insert and add the steaks. Best of both worlds.

I gave up on splitting it since the rounds do well too.

pen said:
However, I haven't burnt a bit of it through the wood stove. I save it for the burn pit.

Same here, I save all my orchard prunings for the fire pit as pork cooked over applewood is the best way to cook pork.

If you want a great steak, try grape vine prunings if you can get them :) :)

Anyone who wants to drop off their terrible apple wood is welcome to drop it off right here on our place.

BackwoodsBarrister said:
I put it in my heater, burns great. After it gets to the coal stage, I open the top door to my heater, throw in the grill insert and add the steaks. Best of both worlds.

Well isn't that a tricky little option on that stove ...

oakwoodgrill.jpg

Now I'm hungry ... for steak!

Recently read that a commercial smoking operation was paying $800/cord for it.

I burn fir in my Oslo. It's all <20% moisture. It does a good job heating the place, but I do have a tough time getting the stove top above 500 - can do it, but it takes a long time.

I am storing some apple wood for my brother. I decided to try some the other day. Put one decent sized split in the stove on top of some well charred fir - stove top was at about 400. Within 10 minutes the stove top was up to 600 and still climbing. Wow, what a difference!

I'm a big fan. Just lost my big apple tree in my yard this fall. It is all cut and seasoning. Uglies for the stove, clean wood for the smoker.

I go with those who say that you should save some for grilling and smoking. It's great for fish, steak, and chicken. I also like it with pork. When I do NC BBQ in my smoker, I use a mix of hickory and apple.

O.k. I've gotta quit reading this thread because it's makin me incredibly hungry....

Troutchaser said:

Way better than oak. It's one of the top two or three in BTU.

It's essentially impossible to split by hand because it's so twisted, but if it's well dried, it's magnificent stuff to burn. I have a couple days' worth left from a tree on my property that was broken right off a couple feet high in a bad storm a few years ago, and I'm saving it for one of those miserable 20-below nights we get once in a while around here. Wish I could get my hands on more of it, but there are a lot of orchards around my area and vast numbers of people who appreciate its burning qualities, so it's hard to come by without paying an arm and a leg.

gyrfalcon said:
Wish I could get my hands on more of it, but there are a lot of orchards around my area and vast numbers of people who appreciate its burning qualities, so it's hard to come by without paying an arm and a leg.

Doesn't help when people like me coming onto the net going on about it's fabulous burning qualities for all to see ;-)

woodchip said:
gyrfalcon said:
Wish I could get my hands on more of it, but there are a lot of orchards around my area and vast numbers of people who appreciate its burning qualities, so it's hard to come by without paying an arm and a leg.

Doesn't help when people like me coming onto the net going on about it's fabulous burning qualities for all to see ;-)

No worries, mate. This is rural Vermont, and I guarantee you nobody but me and one or two others in the whole state even knows about this site. The folks around here have been pouncing on apple tree trimmings and the odd downed tree for at least a century. Go on about it all you like, as far as I'm concerned. It only pushes the price up astronomically in the suburbs. ;-) (Not to be a rural snob or anything...)

Splitting apple is easy. I can hand split a round of some of my well seasoned apple in less than a minute...of course the splits end up only about 3-4 inches long... for the grill.

Intheswamp said:
Splitting apple is easy. I can hand split a round of some of my well seasoned apple in less than a minute...of course the splits end up only about 3-4 inches long... for the grill.
My father had some apple come down last year so I took it home. They were dead standing and split like a champ, but I can understand how green applewood could be difficult. Its one of my favorite woods to burn. Saved a few rounds for this year and I like it so much I couldnt bring myself to burn it yet. If you have a fireplace, its worth throwing in.. gives off one of the better smells of all wood IMO. I went out for a cigar while burning it and the chimney smoke made me hungry. Wish I had an unlimited supply. Enjoy.

denjohn said:
Recently read that a commercial smoking operation was paying $800/cord for it.

I can believe that . . . local place to me was paying close to those prices . . . even had some kids go into an apple orchard and cut a couple of apple trees and load them into their pick up . . . morons were caught however when the deputy matched up the butt cut of the tree they sold to the place to the stump left behind in the orchard.

Status
Not open for further replies.