aquastats, limit switches and setting up a boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klabbe11

Apr 14, 2015
Canada
I am new to the forum and new to boilers. I just bought a house that has a wood/oil boiler in the garage. It is an old Franks piping unit. I have looked endlessly for a manual for it and cannot find one. I have done as much research as I can to try and figure out the wiring of it. There are two sets of switches for both the wood and oil side. From my reading they should be a high/low limit switch for each side but they both act as high limit switches. Is it common to have a backup high limit switch? I am also having a hard time to get the triple aquastat to only allow the coolant to circulate to the fans once it reaches a certain temperature. Right now the fans are blowing all the time as soon as I turn the power on. All the components are pretty old on the unit. Should I buy new components and replace them? Any info on wiring up a wood/oil boiler would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

assuming you have a hot air heating system your thermostat is probably calling for heat and the fans are operating trying to blow air through the cold air to water heat exchanger(s).

You have a high limit setting, a low limit setting and an overheat temperature setting that will operate the pump or fan in the plenum until the boiler temperature drops back down between the high and low limit settings.

Hire an electrician/sparky for an hour and he will
solve your problems with it as he will also explain
to you how everything is tied in together to operate
in parallel when either side is energized.

Take notes and post the operating procedure in a plastic
sheet protector or small binder and hold on to it, but do
not leave it on the boiler itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.