Older heatilator limit switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Millbilly

Feeling the Heat
Dec 13, 2015
Can someone here explain to me the purpose of the limit switch on older heatilator millivolt fireplaces? They are not wired into a circuit. They have one wire coming off a valve terminal to one side of the switch. The switch is grounded to the fireplace. But I don't understand how this does anything.

Can someone here explain to me the purpose of the limit switch on older heatilator millivolt fireplaces? They are not wired into a circuit. They have one wire coming off a valve terminal to one side of the switch. The switch is grounded to the fireplace. But I don't understand how this does anything.
What is the Model number? Is it a B-Vent unit?

What is the Model number? Is it a B-Vent unit?
I don't have a model. I work on gas fireplaces professionally but never understood this feature on older models. They are not usually mounted on a draft hood, usually more forward towards the glass. I think I've seen older heat and glo models like this also. I will get a model and photos of the next one I come across.

PXL_20240307_133528661.jpg
PXL_20240307_133550739.jpg
PXL_20240307_133519378.jpg