Are expensive pellets a hoax?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigo

Feb 11, 2012
live free or die
or am I just another noob?

We put in a free standing accentra last fall and i promptly purchased a couple ton of maines choice from the local lowes at $195/ton, they carried us through late march, then i supplemented with cubex at $6/bag - the only difference i notice is that the cubex smell dry - less sweet

I do not notice a significant difference in heat or ash - do the premium pellets really make a difference?

sure im not the first to ask this question?

Yes.... (For Harman and there ESP, you may not "Feel" that big of a difference.?)

There is a difference between Inferno's and Okies.... Period. (BIG difference) ;)

Not all Pellets are created equal. Some stoves burn bad pellets better than others.

I'm new to this also. Tried about 10 brands of pellets and they all burn different. Although the Harman will burn anything, for me it's how much ash forms in the burn pot and how clean my glass stays. My stove seems to like softwood. So I think for next season it will be burning MWP soft, Spruce Pointe. but the Northern(cubex) burned nice too.

I've burned many different brands over the years.
Yes there is a difference between cheap pellets and high end pellets.

Basically it comes down to finding a good "enough" pellet for your situation.
Some will burn lousy pellets, get minimal heat, and are happy.
Other burn the hottest most expensive pellets and are unhappy.

Mostly it comes down to fiber quality,heat output in a given lb of pellets and how well a stove runs.
That leaves the door open for lots of variables.
There is also batch-batch consistency in the pellets.

I tend to burn higher end pellets (Okie's & Vermont's) in the deep cold season and less quality pellets in the shoulder seasons.
I burned Platinum Fires and Maine's Choice (Mid grade pellets) in addition to Okies this year.
For me it worked out well.

Pellets I avoid at all costs
Infernos
Nature's Heat
Any pellet sold in a grocery store.

It's a game each year trying to find quality pellets for the cheapest price (unless you hoard, ==c )

Generally, higher quality (more expensive) pellets burn cleaner. But there are deals out there.

Good luck,
---Nailer---

Reactions: Eatonpcat
We are newbies also and have tried 4 different brands in the 15bags we have burned since Eric installed the stove...Small sample size but can definitely say ,without checking the temps,that the Somersets are special......Clean burn,clean glass,good heat and a "muted" clink as they drop into the pot...Green Liggies about the same heat as Somersets,but more ash,dirty glass quicker......pro pellets are a good pellet also..the burnpot seems to eat them all ....... Cant judge the greene gold because we only bought 5 bags and think they had been sitting out...only burned 3 bags of them...heat was ok....lot of fines.....think these were a couple years old ,stored outside......66 degrees in the living room at 5am this morning,Cranked up the thermostat and enjoyed the heat ,possible for the last time till fall......Looking forward to a full burning season!!

dave

Reactions: DexterDay
We are newbies also and have tried 4 different brands in the 15bags we have burned since Eric installed the stove...Small sample size but can definitely say ,without checking the temps,that the Somersets are special......Clean burn,clean glass,good heat and a "muted" clink as they drop into the pot...Green Liggies about the same heat as Somersets,but more ash,dirty glass quicker......pro pellets are a good pellet also..the burnpot seems to eat them all ....... Cant judge the greene gold because we only bought 5 bags and think they had been sitting out...only burned 3 bags of them...heat was ok....lot of fines.....think these were a couple years old ,stored outside......66 degrees in the living room at 5am this morning,Cranked up the thermostat and enjoyed the heat ,possible for the last time till fall......Looking forward to a full burning season!!

dave

Plus one on the Somerset's....And Major Reps for the Steeler's pail! ;)

I try to find Somersets.. and since I need someone to deliver, I can't always pick...

I think expensive pellets are a hoax! I have tried many different brands. I am sure there are a couple at the top and a couple at the bottom; but other than that not a heck of a lot of difference.

I have had my P68 for 4 seasons. No matter what I burn, ya know what: at the end of the year I burn 4 tons. Why overpay?

Tom C.

Status
Not open for further replies.