Are smoke dragons really smoke dragons?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck, w/ good DRY wood split small and a "teepee" fire, I can even have a nearly (visible) smoke free fire in my old masonry FP. Even so, I'm sure there are a lot more particulates in the non-visible smoke from my FP than a properly functioning EPA stove would generate. Of course, if I throw on a couple big splits w/o enough "supporting" fire (smaller wood buring under or around the larger wood), the chimney looks like it's from a little kid's picture of a house in winter time (i.e. lots of puffy smoke coming out). And if the wood is at all green, furggitaboutit.

Peace,
- Seqouia

I noticed a fair number of old stoves (no longer manufactured) on the EPA list. Such as the Weso ceramic stove, and the Grizzly "super achiever", and a few others, some manufactured from the mid 70s to 80s. Even that Lopi X that I saw last week is on the list (ca 1984.) Can this be? Are they really EPA compliant then and now, and must have been quite efficient stoves and before their time? I am a little confused by seeing these old listings, but it's a good thing to see. If it's on the list, it's not a "smoke dragon?"

A couple of weeks ago we had three or four days of cold rainy weather and overcast. As I drove back from town I was noticing how fall like it looked with streams of smoke coming from everybody's chimneys. It just didn't look right when I drove up to the house and just those heat waves were coming out of our chimneys.

Didn't look like fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.