Are these good stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klessen

Aug 12, 2009
Lincoln, Illinois
I am looking to by a new stove this year. Our old one is old. It is an old Ben Franklin and it does not vent right and from what I have heard from you guys this stove will never vent right. So I have been looking at some new ones.

They are:

Osburn 1600
Defender Woodburning stove TR001

Any information you guys an give me on these stoves wood be GREAT.

Thanks,

KRista

Welcome Krista. How large a space are you trying to heat? I haven't burned in either, but would be leaning towards the Osburn with the larger firebox, much heavier steel (5/16" vs 3/16"), cleaner burning and made in Canada. Lifetime warranty is nice too.

i think either one would be an improvement on what you have. i think the osburn would be a better choice, as the defender is kinda tinny

What I mean by venting is that we do not get a draft going when the flew is open and the fire is going. Plus we have an 8" flew down to a 6" flew. But I post before on this problem and was told this type of stove just does not vent good.

BeGreen said:
I haven't burned in either, but would be leaning towards the Osburn with the larger firebox, much heavier steel (5/16" vs 3/16"), cleaner burning and made in Canada. Lifetime warranty is nice too.

BG I have wondered about that steel thickness claim of Osburn's for a while so I contacted them. According to them the top plate is 5/16" but the rest of the stove is 3/16".

I have the Defender stove. I'm quite happy with it, it heats great, and is easy to use. I heat just under 1000 sq. ft. of living space, and it does that job just fine.

those franklin stoves are terrible ,as mentioned anything would be an improvement over one ,get one with secondary burn tubes and thick steel

A Franklin stove is comparable to having a campfire in your living room.
Warm in the area around it, but not an efficient heater, as it'll suck heat OUT of your home,
air that you have already paid to heat.
ANY airtight stove - sized right - will be a marked improvement...

DAKSY said:
A Franklin stove is comparable to having a campfire in your living room.
Warm in the area around it, but not an efficient heater, as it'll suck heat OUT of your home,
air that you have already paid to heat.
ANY airtight stove - sized right - will be a marked improvement...

The main difference between a Franklin Stove and a campfire is the lack of aesthetic virtue in the FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.