Are we missing something? Hearthstone insert that produces very little heat??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily8223

Dec 5, 2008
Rhode Island
We just purchased a Hearthstone Clydesdale wood burning fireplace insert and are confused. We were told that it will give off enough heat to heat at least a 2000 sq. ft. home. However, we hardly notice any heat coming from the unit and the room that it is in, the living room of a traditional, center hall colonial built in late 1800's, is hardly warm at all. We have the blower on full speed and a fairly decent fire going for the past 6 hours or so (hardwood only). Any advice, help, suggestions would be great as we are second guessing our decision to purchase this insert. Thanks for your help!

Repost this in the heart section you will get more repleys.

How massive is your fireplace? Could it be that a huge stone--masonry fireplace takes forever to warm up? Then once it's warm it's built to send the heat outdoors where you don't need it? If the fireplace is on an outside wall that makes it even worse. We had a fireplace when I was a kid and I loved building a fire, a sure way to make a house cold. I would never buy a home with a fireplace. I've heated with wood most of my life. I think the govt. ought to send free insulation to anyone willing to install it-----to H*LL with bailouts. Insulation is the gift that keeps on giving. Good luck to you and I hope you find a way to keep warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.