ARE you still burning.......?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Temps are running 35-55 with an occasional spike above/below. I've been making a small fire in the early morning and evening. Maybe 2 gallons of 2x2 maple cut offs is all it takes to keep us in the 70s. Often it's too much, but my wife loves the heat, so it's all good.

Temps are running 35-55 with an occasional spike above/below. I've been making a small fire in the early morning and evening. Maybe 2 gallons of 2x2 maple cut offs is all it takes to keep us in the 70s. Often it's too much, but my wife loves the heat, so it's all good.

Had the fire going both nights over the weekend, a low of 37 overnight. Loving it!

The weather channel will tell you Long Island is sitting at 45F tonight.

False.

Here in Icy Hollow, it's gonna be 35F, at least..

Burning in the evenings, and put a few splits in the insert in the AM when I'm cruising at 5 AM.

I work to hard to be cold, and I work to hard to be hot in the summer ;)

Supposed to get down to 43 F here, but we saw the sun for the first time in a week today so the house is plenty warm. Burned a couple of different nights in the evening and let it go out overnight. Hoping to close both of the stoves down until the Fall, but we'll see...

Sun came out this afternoon here too.
Burned half a stove of oak all afternoon, it's 77ºF in the house but my aunt visiting from Arizona is happy.

No, I have not burned in a week or so, but I caught the wife the other night with the thermostat turned up to 78. I freaked out. We have not seen sunshine in a week, I guess I need to keep burning a little longer.

Edit: I fired up the stove after posting. Enablers. lol take my 1 week chip away.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigCountryNY
Lit up on Thursday, newborn in the house and a grandmother visiting made it worthwhile to put in the effort instead of the oil heat. The baby rather enjoyed not having to be wrapped up in blankets.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I spoke too soon. It has actually been snowing off & on today, yikes - and the wind is up.

I swear that forecast said sun when I looked at it last night....

Temp was just a dite above freezing this morning . . . mid 30s . . . needless to say . . . still burning. As my wife joked the other day, "It's a lovely winter we're having this Spring."

Currently down to burning just the punks, chunks and uglies. I've started reloading my woodshed for the 2017-2018 season.

With these cold nights we are starting a fire about every other night to keep the chill out. Still seeing low forties high thirties at night here and there. Don't know if it has anything to do with it but my wife just became pregnant and she seems cold all the time lately. Started a big fire last night to warm up the house she sat in front of it all night with a blanket long pants and two shirts. She fired it back up while I was mowing the lawn this evening, it is chilly but not horrible. Cedar and red oak splits warming it up for her as we speak.

With these cold nights we are starting a fire about every other night to keep the chill out. Still seeing low forties high thirties at night here and there. Don't know if it has anything to do with it but my wife just became pregnant and she seems cold all the time lately. Started a big fire last night to warm up the house she sat in front of it all night with a blanket long pants and two shirts. She fired it back up while I was mowing the lawn this evening, it is chilly but not horrible. Cedar and red oak splits warming it up for her as we speak.

Congrats on the pregnancy...happy for you!
My wife was always cold during her pregnancies. It could be 85 degrees and she would be all wrapped up in blankets & such.
Still an awesome time...let her enjoy the heat.
Congrats again!

Last edited:
Yup, still occasionally burning here in PA

Thanks yea were pretty excited.

Pears in full bloom. Freeze warning. Ugh. Still burning. Still friggin burning.

Pears in full bloom. Freeze warning. Ugh. Still burning. Still friggin burning.
I'm with ya. No offense to you cold weather lovers, but wood burning is the only thing I enjoy about winter and when it's over I'm done. Sure I still scrounge wood and prepare, check hearth a couple times (but mostly disengage til Oct), but when April hits I'm geared up for my landscaping biz, lawnsite.com, fishing and warm weather. Starting the stove this weekend and hoping my fruit tree blooms don't freeze is for the snow hobbits. No offense, I'm just sick of working in the snow, cold rain, and bone chilling wind when it should be 75. Will admit it was nice to warm the house up with some super dry cherry and oak. This winter will have 2yr dry stuff, whoohoo!

Congrats man. What a great spring surprise!

I hear ya! 80 today, down to 40ish at night. Actually have the windows open tonight no burning!

Whelp I spoke too soon. Down to 30 and 25mph winds tonight. Wife complained of the chill....got the beast fired up for another night.

Sitting here writing this as the snow fly's past my window
3::C right now going to -2::C tonight sill burning HE double L
Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.