Arghh! - Self Installation of Lennox Brentwood in Massachusetts???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteD

Jun 4, 2008
Here
OK.

I have made a bunch of calls to the only dealers within 20 miles (the closest is 12 miles away) of me for Lennox. All either are too busy to come to my town, are only licensed in NH, or are focusing on stoves only (quicker installs). Also, MA is instituting new regs (July 1) where a certified construction inspector must be present at the install (unless it is done by the homeowner on their own- I love the logic).

I am an engineer and pretty capable DIY'er. But:

Is it really legal to do this DIY?

If yes, will insurance company be OK, as long as building inspector signs off on install after properly getting permit?

What codes do I need to know aside from following the instructions to a T?

Will I have any prayer of getting warranty coverage from Lennox for certain issues if I DIY?

One of the dealers would deliver the stuff to me for 10% under MSRP.

I welcome any insights - I am pretty frustrated at this point....

Have you tried any local chimney sweeps? Some do installs.

I don’t know how much this will help you; I am just getting started with the installation of my Regency F1100S. I called my insurance Co; they said they only needed a copy of the inspection report to have on file, they said it would not increase the rate. They did not care if I did the installation myself. I called the building inspection office and the lady said I just need the make, model, and SN of the stove and to apply for a permit. I will apply online for a permit and see how it goes. BTW I am also in northeastern MA near the NH border. Good luck.

I pulled a building permit for a stove install this past week. I am also in Massachusetts (Natick) so my experience may help IF the rules are statewide and not specific to each town. Anyway, I was told that even though I am hiring a contractor to do the installation, legally it is a "Homeowner Install". The reason is that the work goes into one of two categories -- (1) Work by licensed contractors and (2) Work by Homeowners. Since woodstove installers aren't licensed in MA (or at least don't have to be licensed) it goes into category (2).

By the way, I pulled the permit mostly so that I will proof of proper installation when the Building Inspector signs off. I believe this will be requested by my insurance carrier.

Todd: I have placed a call to a local sweep and will look at that option also. I was trying to go with a dealer for warranty purposes. I am assuming that I could have difficulty with non-affiliated installers or DIY, if I have problems with the unit down the road. One of the dealers said as much.

WES999: That sounds reasonable. I will definitely call the insurance, too - to make sure they are aware and I am covered before starting.

EngineRep: I agree with your insurance logic - that is half of why I plan to pull a permit, also. The other half to make sure it is done up to spec (whether by me or someone else). I did have interesting conversations with a couple of the dealers. I gathered from them that:

1. As a contractor, you need to be insured to install wood fireplaces in MA (reason NH company would not do)
2. Starting July 1, work hired out for wood fireplaces must be supervised by someone with a CSL (Construction Supervisor License)
3. The homeowner can pull their own permit and get it done by themselves or with help (it is a "homeowner install" like you say at that point, it just needs to pass inspection (OT, but I believe that a homeowner can do any work they want to themselves in MA, except for DWV work in some jurisdictions)

So, I guess, barring a dealer being willing to install, it probably does not matter to the town or my insurance who does the work as long as it is done properly and inspected.

Also, I guess I will need to call Lennox about the warranty - I do not seem to see it spelled out on their site.

From some permit applications from other towns in MA (my town does not have them on-line), it looks like the instructions along with the standard clearances are basis for inspection. Now, I have to carefully read the manual for the product and see what I am up against.

Thanks,
Pete

Gentlemen - I'm waiting for an Enviro Pellet Insert 1st of Sept. ( S.Shore, Mass ). I have installed several wood stoves and inserts over the years and presentely the hearth where I install will comply with all local codes. ( In fact replacing a present gas
insert).

My question - the dealer states a licensed installer has to be used as not to void the warranty. Well if in Mass the installer is
not licensed - what the ???

All I have to do is run SS 4" flex pipe from a stove T up a 25' masonary chmmeny into an end cap vent. Adequate hearth floor/ side protection. So do I need to spend $550. for some guy to do this just for a warranty.??

Warranty seems to really only cover blowers. If the iron cracks I would think they would say you over fired.

???

I frankly never worry to much about warranties. Also, I would check with the mfg. The dealer may be saying that you need a licensed install to get warranty for business purposes. To be licensed in MA as of July 1, the installer must have a solid fuel construction supervisor's license.

Personally, if I were you I would do it yourself and keep the $550 for parts that may not be covered under warranty.

I am willing to bet any damage during the warranty will either be covered by the company because they are into customer service, or blamed on over-firing or mis-use by you (even with licensed install) because they have made a business decision to minimize warranty costs.

Pete

Call Enviro if unsure. I agree the contract reads like a feeding frenzy for lawyers, but it covers most of the complex components, electronics, auger, safety switches, 3 blowers, glass, etc. A valid warranty on a pellet stove is a good thing to have.

AHHHH! I re -re read the warranty. (The dealer, recommended his sub contractor he uses, but of course I can have any contractor install.)

So, if I call myself qualified, obtain a permit, have it pass local inspection - I see no reason why the warranty would not be in force.

3. A qualified installer must install this stove or fireplace. This Limited Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship only if the product has been installed in accordance with local building and fire codes; in their absence, refer to the owner’s manual.

Thus I save $500. I had to climb the chimney anyways to remove the propane insert top and liner flue. So while up there, I drop down the pellet stuff.

Thank goodness for this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.