Ariens 27 ton splitter not stopping on return run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chuck the Canuck

Feeling the Heat
Hi there. as the title says I have an Ariens 27 ton splitter that I have been running for about 6 years. I run about 36 cord through the machine on a yearly basis, a run it pretty regular (I do small amounts constantly in my spare time so as to not have to do a whole lot at once).... So lately, when the splitter is on the return cycle, when it gets back to the start position but the handle doesnt kick back into neutral and the motor bogs and dies unless I am close enough to catch it in time. Now this just pisses me off, and it must be fixed. How can I do that. If anyone cares to share what nut or screw I need to adjust, preferably with pictures, I would be forever grateful.
Cheers

Attachments

• Craftman splitter hauler.jpg
    Craftman splitter hauler.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 179
Hi there. as the title says I have an Ariens 27 ton splitter that I have been running for about 6 years. I run about 36 cord through the machine on a yearly basis, a run it pretty regular (I do small amounts constantly in my spare time so as to not have to do a whole lot at once).... So lately, when the splitter is on the return cycle, when it gets back to the start position but the handle doesnt kick back into neutral and the motor bogs and dies unless I am close enough to catch it in time. Now this just pisses me off, and it must be fixed. How can I do that. If anyone cares to share what nut or screw I need to adjust, preferably with pictures, I would be forever grateful.
Cheers

Call the manufacturer and ask for technical assistance. I have a 22 TSC (Speeco) splitter and my handle would not stay engaged and would pop off before it was all the way back. I called technical support and they had me take a little cover off the control valve and push something back into place.(it's been a while). They stressed to only pull the cover back a little bit and not all the way off or I'd have parts everywhere. Took about 5 minutes and has working perfectly ever since. I suspect you have a similar problem in your control valve.

Call the manufacturer and ask for technical assistance. I have a 22 TSC (Speeco) splitter and my handle would not stay engaged and would pop off before it was all the way back. I called technical support and they had me take a little cover off the control valve and push something back into place.(it's been a while). They stressed to only pull the cover back a little bit and not all the way off or I'd have parts everywhere. Took about 5 minutes and has working perfectly ever since. I suspect you have a similar problem in your control valve.
Thank you sir!

Let us know how this comes out, I have an older Troybilt that does the exact same thing that Sodbuster describes above, but I just deal with it. I'll be curious to hear what the fix is.

Cheers

After 216 cords maybe the detent is worn. I have read on here that some rotate the spool 180 degrees. My control valve was not adjustable and was kicking out after 35 years and when I rotated the spool it functioned normally.

Let us know how this comes out, I have an older Troybilt that does the exact same thing that Sodbuster describes above, but I just deal with it. I'll be curious to hear what the fix is.
Well Im thinking that the adjustment is on the riggin that the handle is attached to, so Im gonna have a look at that this afternoon and see if I can adjust things one way or the other...... I will report back in due time.

On my control valve the adjustment for the detent is on the opposite end of the control lever. I have a plastic cap that covers it. I can't remember which way it was for the adjustment.

After 216 cords maybe the detent is worn. I have read on here that some rotate the spool 180 degrees. My control valve was not adjustable and was kicking out after 35 years and when I rotated the spool it functioned normally.

Usually a worn spool or detent will make it kick off way too easy or not stay in detent.